where to catch squid

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
LOOKINGFORYABBIES

where to catch squid

Post by LOOKINGFORYABBIES » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:39 am

Hey im trying to find places around geelong i can catch squid from land based fishing

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: where to catch squid

Post by Andrews » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 am

Hey mate,

There are plenty of great spots for chasing land-based calamari near Geelong, with some of the best being on the Bellarine.
Check out my previous posts fishing Clifton Springs, St Leonard's and Queenscliff land-based.
viewforum.php?f=153

Clifton Springs - Boat Ramp Jetty, this spot is super shallows 1-2m depth, but fires up with good numbers of calamari coming in to the shallows. High tide and dusk are prime time in this spot.

Portarlington - Plenty of squid get caught from here, water is a bit murkier and more challenge these days with the ferry.

Indented Heads Boat Ramp - Great spot for squid at dusk amongst the shallows.

St Leonards - IMO the best spot for calamari, great tidal flow, depth, etc. Sure spot for calamari.

Queenscliff - Great spot, less weed bed these days but still plenty of squid.

Another alternative is anywhere on the Bellarine with a surf rod and squid jig, or baited jig. Works great in that 2-4m depth.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

LOOKINGFORYABBIES

Post by LOOKINGFORYABBIES » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am

Andrews wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 am
Hey mate,

There are plenty of great spots for chasing land-based calamari near Geelong, with some of the best being on the Bellarine.
Check out my previous posts fishing Clifton Springs, St Leonard's and Queenscliff land-based.
viewforum.php?f=153

Clifton Springs - Boat Ramp Jetty, this spot is super shallows 1-2m depth, but fires up with good numbers of calamari coming in to the shallows. High tide and dusk are prime time in this spot.

Portarlington - Plenty of squid get caught from here, water is a bit murkier and more challenge these days with the ferry.

St Leonards - IMO the best spot for calamari, great tidal flow, depth, etc. Sure spot for calamari.

Another alternative is anywhere on the Bellarine with a surf rod and squid jig, or baited jig. Works great in that 2-4m depth.
I am going to lorne this weekend would you know if the pier there is good for squid or not?

LOOKINGFORYABBIES

Post by LOOKINGFORYABBIES » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am

i seen st leonards alot on other threads too

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:11 pm

LOOKINGFORYABBIES wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am
Andrews wrote:
Hey mate,

viewforum.php?f=153

I am going to lorne this weekend would you know if the pier there is good for squid or not?
Yes, you can catch squid off lorne pier.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:08 pm

LOOKINGFORYABBIES wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am
Andrews wrote:
Hey mate,

viewforum.php?f=153

The last time I visited that pier the missus and I caught some nice squid off the end!
Good luck 👍🏻

LOOKINGFORYABBIES

Post by LOOKINGFORYABBIES » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:05 pm

Ended up going to lorne and catching none so I then drove to St leonards. Got there at about 10:30 pm and then caught 1 arrow squid at about 11 pm. Nothing after that tho

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:59 am

LOOKINGFORYABBIES wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:05 pm
Ended up going to lorne and catching none so I then drove to St leonards. Got there at about 10:30 pm and then caught 1 arrow squid at about 11 pm. Nothing after that tho
Just unlucky.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:09 pm

No good mate!
Caught a few quite shallow at Clifton Springs over the weekend
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”