bemm river fishing competition

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

bemm river fishing competition

Post by trout-hunter » Sun May 31, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if anyone is heading up to bemm river next weekend for a fishing comp? Ive been invited to a yearly comp but never fished there before. Any info would be very much appreciated eg: type of plastics or lures, baits and rigs.

Cheers fishos

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: bemm river fishing competition

Post by Boonanza » Sun May 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Bemm river is one of the best places to fish for bream. The key is to fish very shallow water less than a meter thats where you will catch more fish :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Sun May 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Ok awesome, ill give that a go.
Thank you for your advice.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:54 pm

you need a boat to fish bemm watch out for westerly wind

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Sandworm pumped from the river mouth or purchase some on the way there, on a running sinker & 02(?) suicide hooks.
We threaded worm onto hook.
We used 2 wooden poles to keep boat steady.
Moor over weed & cast into canal (not main canal to sea) or "weedless" area (can't think of the right word).
If you have not been there before..be careful,as the lake is quite shallow & a wrong turn will put you in the weeds.
All the above is relevant if the canal is open. If it is closed, all the above could be out the window.
I haven't fished there for 30 years,but, we used to catch a lot of fish.
We were taught by a local (I can't remember his name, ex copper I think).
We did not do any lure fishing, so can't help there.
Probably not so bad this time of year, but don't moor off Mud Lake at dusk.. During the warmer weather the sky turns black with mosquitoes & no repellent will work. (we learnt the hard way).
Hope this helps in some small way & have a great trip.

Cheers
Graham

Texas

Post by Texas » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:09 pm

sandef wrote:you need a boat to fish bemm watch out for westerly wind

We trawled the canal 1 day for big flatties. We came flying back into the lake & a westerly had picked.
Very nasty & wet situation.

Gra

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Trouthunter,There are four fishing areas at Bemm.
The river, access by boat and land, plenty of bream here but not friendly to baities,good lure people will do well most times.
The Channell (not Canal) connects the lake to the sea and provides Bream,Flatties,, in the main when the entrance is closed. When open to the sea ,Salmon and Luderick come into their own. Lure and bait successful.
The Lake. All of the above, plus I forgot,Tailor. Fish the margins early and late in day,find the deep areas in the middle of the day.
The Surf. Great sport with the usual gear,magnificent beach but you need a boat to cross the lake to get there.
Bemm is one of Victorias best estuaries and you can generally find something, I,ve fished there for many years and love the place. If you like to pm me would be happy to go into more detail.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:58 am

Blue wrote:Trouthunter,There are four fishing areas at Bemm.
The river, access by boat and land, plenty of bream here but not friendly to baities,good lure people will do well most times.
The Channel (not Canal) connects the lake to the sea and provides Bream,Flatties,, in the main when the entrance is closed. When open to the sea ,Salmon and Luderick come into their own. Lure and bait successful.
The Lake. All of the above, plus I forgot,Tailor. Fish the margins early and late in day,find the deep areas in the middle of the day.
The Surf. Great sport with the usual gear,magnificent beach but you need a boat to cross the lake to get there.
Bemm is one of Victorias best estuaries and you can generally find something, I,ve fished there for many years and love the place. If you like to pm me would be happy to go into more detail.
Blue
Thanks Blue.. I thought they were the same

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”