PPB

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Ajantis

PPB

Post by Ajantis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of going on a charter, but not too sure if times between 1pm and 5pm are good times to fish ? I know the mornings are better but they are full and so is the evening. Is midday a productive time ?

Cheers

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: PPB

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Welcome to the site ! Anytime is a good time to fish ! better than getting brain dead in front of the TV... :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:18 pm

^^
Anytime of day there's a chance, so just go fishing.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Who's the charter with? More important then the time is the operator. It can be money well spent or money, well... spent ;)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Still catch ,squid n flatty that time of day
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Ajantis

Post by Ajantis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Its with Relax Charters out from Mornington.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:18 pm

There are great times to fish and time that you have, you can catch fish at any time especially flathead and squid in ppb best time for snapper first light and last light

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 am

To be honest, depending on the species there are specific times and situations that are best suited to target that fish. However having said that, I've seen gummy caught at mid day and whiting caught at night etc. Yes, for snapper a rising barometer with a tide change at first light or sunset is a good time to fish. Yet over tea tree we caught reds in the middle of a tide during the day.

If you are heading out on a charter, then the job of yhe operator is to put you on to fish. They will know where the most likely spots for you to catch will be at that specific time etc.

If you are a rec fisher and amateur (like me) then you can give yourself a better chance by going at the best times. However, many times I have gone fishing and caught nothing. But that's half the fun. If you caught something every time you went fishing it would be called catching lol.

Drop the coin, even if you end up with donuts, you will still learn things!

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Relax Charters are good operators, just remember that they cater for the masses. Pretty sure their boat capacity is around 17-20, which can get a bit crowded. $60 for 4 hours on the water with bbq sausages supplied satisfies a lot of tourists happy to catch flathead.

On the other hand, it will cost about $150 for 5 hours to target snapper with most of the species specific charter operators. Their boat capacity is usually 6-10 people. At the end of the day, just ask yourself what you want to get out of it. And how much you want to spend.

If you've never been on the water before, you can try Relax Charters to see if you like being on the water (some people get seasick). And if you like it, hire out a boat from Mornington Boat Hire where you can be the skipper and you choose where to go. Plenty of squid/flathead/garfish around the shallows of Mornington.

Ajantis

Post by Ajantis » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have been on some charters before and it doesnt bother me if dont get a snapper as i would expect that not to happen going on these kind of charters, with that amount of people. Its been so long that i havent done fishing ( growing family ), that finally i get some of my fishing time back :)
A few years ago i went on a snapper only fishing charter ( wont name it ), and i paided $150+ and we went straight to the spot dropped our lines with 6 of us, bagged out in 30 mins and went home. For $150+ for 2 snapper each and 1 hour on the water, didnt really have value.

I wish i had a boat !, and it makes me so jealous when i see you guys posting pic's on good snapper and whiting and all them lovely fish. :o_0:

Cheers.
AJ

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”