FACEBOOK is killing good forums

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Buckle&scream

Re: FACEBOOK is killing good forums

Post by Buckle&scream » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:30 am

can't stand face book either, that crap pisses me off, so much bull on there! feel much better since Joining fishing vic, a lot of obsessed fishos on here haha my type of people!

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:44 am

I always wonder about the posts on facebook if reports of multiple bags of snapper being caught on Frankston pier LOL. The number of poor naive people that rush down at midnight mid-week to Frankston pier to find its dead as ever. And don't even get me started with fish weight and length arguments. I like to think the people who get started fishing will start on FB and end up here once they get a tad more serious :P
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:51 am

Jesus a lot of hate for facebook. I love it with a passion. Take it for what it's worth. Have a bit of a **** stir. Have a few private pages or messenger groups so you can chat with mates or share **** in private with a select group. It works a treat.

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Im another NON facebooker.... BUT....to each his own.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:10 pm

The answer is Facebook is NOT killing good forums. Forums will always be here.

The OP has somehow found Fishing Victoria.

If you want quality information, go to a specific niche forum.

If you want non substantiated rumour or instant gratification go to a Facebook Group.

Within a Facebook Group, it's hard to keep track of posts. There is no search function! Anyone can set up a Facebook Group. They are not well moderated and conversations quickly deteriorate from my experience.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:53 pm

FB is more for bragging, talking crap and simply wasting your life...

A proper phpBB forum, such as this, is far, far better - as admin says; try finding a specific post that was made a few months ago on FB, can't be done...

I used to have an anonymous (made-up name, etc) FB account up until a couple of weeks ago - it was solely for access a private kayak-fishing group. But I found that even there keeping track of posts and conversations was a nightmare, a headache and a massive time-waster.

Now I simply concentrate on a few proper forums and feel much better.

Cheers,

Mike.

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:02 pm

I dont want to sound like a wanker but I have upgraded, I still talk about the old boat. Streaker Commander 635 with 225 Verado on it. I loved that boat it was the best boat going. However I upgraded to bigger model. It might look impressive but its a shitload more expensive to run. I don't catch as much fish as i use to and dont go out as much. However as a family/over nighter round the bay it is awesome and and I am learning to love it like the old one but it will take a few years. Living in Patto lakes is awesome to great lifestyle and good boat spotting.
Mustang 38.jpg

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Mustang38 wrote:I dont want to sound like a wanker but I have upgraded, I still talk about the old boat. Streaker Commander 635 with 225 Verado on it. I loved that boat it was the best boat going. However I upgraded to bigger model. It might look impressive but its a shitload more expensive to run. I don't catch as much fish as i use to and dont go out as much. However as a family/over nighter round the bay it is awesome and and I am learning to love it like the old one but it will take a few years. Living in Patto lakes is awesome to great lifestyle and good boat spotting.
Mustang 38.jpg
Sounds to me like you need two boats,around a 6 meter plus boat for fishing only n the huge boat for cruising overnighters...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:17 pm

dont get me wrong, facebook has its ups, but for me, i dont want or need to know how many times you burped your baby or that you had a pub meal with a picture of your beer...lol

the privacy and how easy it is to be tracked and monitored made it an easy decision for me to get off ..when they asked for proof of identity, i left, i didnt want my full name and details online,

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:16 pm

chris seafarer wrote:dont get me wrong, facebook has its ups, but for me, i dont want or need to know how many times you burped your baby or that you had a pub meal with a picture of your beer...lol

the privacy and how easy it is to be tracked and monitored made it an easy decision for me to get off ..when they asked for proof of identity, i left, i didnt want my full name and details online,
You don't need to give your real name, you can make up one and link it to a a new email address you set up :o_0: (but anyway with IP logging it's really easy for them to track you).
I bailed from a number of FB fishing sites because most the blokes can't string a sentence together, and if they do many of them are so full of inappropriate language I wouldn't even show it to my wife.
Too many keyboard tragics on FB :down:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”