FACEBOOK is killing good forums

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: FACEBOOK is killing good forums

Post by 4liters » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 pm

adamk wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote:I'll take that as sarcasm... But this goes to prove my point you can't always tell who is serious and who is kidding around.

Either way it's the internet and you have to take things with a grain of salt at times.....
no sarcasim. tbh i found your comment to be 100% correct :thumbsup:
I thought a condescending wonka meme implied you were taking the ****
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:23 pm

adamk wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote:I'll take that as sarcasm... But this goes to prove my point you can't always tell who is serious and who is kidding around.

Either way it's the internet and you have to take things with a grain of salt at times.....

Cheers Adam :thumbsup:

Wasn't sure which way to take it. Some like to have a little dig so just wasn't sure.

Tight lines ladies and gents

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:23 pm

4liters wrote:
adamk wrote:

I thought a condescending wonka meme implied you were taking the p1ss
Am I the only one here who is not in 'internet negative' mode! (insert smilie face here...yep, I don't use emoticons anymore) A mode where you assume everything is negative! (insert another smilie if you so choose) There was one simple tell tale way to tell that Adam was not being sarcastic...because there was no need to be! What gone fishing wrote made sense! Anyway, proved his point that it can be confusing!
cheers
Team M & S
Smarter than the average dog!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:33 pm

4liters wrote:
adamk wrote:

I thought he was taking the **** too, mainly because of the wonka meme
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

adamk

Post by adamk » Sun May 01, 2016 12:53 am

4liters wrote:
adamk wrote:

24 cans of turkey prolly inpaired my judgement to use that image but you are right too lmao

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 01, 2016 7:12 am

24 cans of turkey has been known to do that on occasion lol
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue May 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Mutley and Scruffy wrote:Am I the only one here who is not in 'internet negative' mode!

This thread reminds me of a quote I read in Stephen Fry's autobiography More Fool Me,(2014, pp.41-42):

I am not so foolish as to join myself with those heralds of doom who claim that the internet and social networking will inevitably spell the death of literacy, literature, focus concentration span or 'real' human interaction. When moving-type printing was invented it was damned as a technology that would rot the mind. No longer would a scholar have to know everything, they could just 'look it up'. When the novel arrived it was damned as destructive, escapist, shallow and detrimental to morals. The same howls of protest were screeched at popular theatre, music hall, cinema, then television, video-gaming and now social networking.

I think the passage above really puts things into perspective. At the end of the day, facebook and websites such as this one are communication tools. To say that one is 'better' than the other is a bit misleading. Like most pages/forums on the internet, you will have your fair share of idiots, with their 'low quality' input. What really matters is the (quality) input of members. The fact that most people on this forum are like-minded anglers and want to promote better angling gives it more of a 'niche' market where people are (hopefully) more inclined to help each other out rather than 'troll' other members...

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue May 03, 2016 6:10 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Mutley and Scruffy wrote:Am I the only one here who is not in 'internet negative' mode!

This thread reminds me of a quote I read in Stephen Fry's autobiography More Fool Me,(2014, pp.41-42):

I am not so foolish as to join myself with those heralds of doom who claim that the internet and social networking will inevitably spell the death of literacy, literature, focus concentration span or 'real' human interaction. When moving-type printing was invented it was damned as a technology that would rot the mind. No longer would a scholar have to know everything, they could just 'look it up'. When the novel arrived it was damned as destructive, escapist, shallow and detrimental to morals. The same howls of protest were screeched at popular theatre, music hall, cinema, then television, video-gaming and now social networking.

I think the passage above really puts things into perspective. At the end of the day, facebook and websites such as this one are communication tools. To say that one is 'better' than the other is a bit misleading. Like most pages/forums on the internet, you will have your fair share of idiots, with their 'low quality' input. What really matters is the (quality) input of members. The fact that most people on this forum are like-minded anglers and want to promote better angling gives it more of a 'niche' market where people are (hopefully) more inclined to help each other out rather than 'troll' other members...
Well said, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue May 03, 2016 6:20 pm

adamk wrote:
4liters wrote:
adamk wrote:

24 cans of turkey prolly inpaired my judgement to use that image but you are right too lmao
You were doing well to get such a coherent post together after 24 cans of turkey. Lol. If that was me, all you would get would be whatever gibberish appeared after I rolled my face across the keyboard :P

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Scraglor wrote:
adamk wrote:
4liters wrote:
adamk wrote:

You were doing well to get such a coherent post together after 24 cans of turkey. Lol. If that was me, all you would get would be whatever gibberish appeared after I rolled my face across the keyboard :P
Lol :rofl: :rofl:

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”