"Guests" viewing forum topics?

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: "Guests" viewing forum topics?

Post by fishingvic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Beno - we have had 32 newly registered users in the last 24 hours (which is a record) suggesting this is the way to go!

CarlG - Inactive users are deleted after 12 months.

Tomcat1 - I think this is more of a Facebook problem (Fishing Fever Mordi reports)

COWBOY - It's more to do with giving "registered" members access to the valuable fishing related content on the site.

frozenpod - you are correct!

"Guests" can see the basic forum structure but must be a registered user to see in threads and to post.

There are a couple of topics that guests can view such as "Welcome to Fishing Victoria", "Announcements", "Suggestions",
"Introductions" and "General"

Will keep monitoring...
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Good idea , No log in , no viewing . :thumbsup:

Taleb

Post by Taleb » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 am

Great idea, amount of registered users is gonna skyrocket!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

thats a good idea and will stop people from signing up, just so that they can view locations, whats beign caught where etc etc
once they have all the info they just bugger off.
LOng standing regular Members have done the hard work for them, all they have to do is search for relevant info and its theirs
dont mean to be rude but i think the search function should also be disabled for new members until their post count or time on the forum has been verified as genuine (not sure how to go about this though)

cheers

davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by davjak » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 pm

I like the idea, it's not fair for people to view information that members have shared without being members

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:38 pm

I forgot that I look at this site from my work computer, and I don't log on.

It's a pain in the butt, not being able to see what others are posting.

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:32 pm

I dont mind giving info to people that want to ask and learn, that includes in person, online, through sms messages. BUT , I and im sure every other memeber on the forum has worked many hard nights and days to get to spots and knowledge of an area, i think you should only allow the people to become members if they write an introduction in the intro part. If that isnt completed in 12 hours then they should be booted.
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

anthony2510

Post by anthony2510 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 am

I think it's a good idea.

Im new here and there will be people like me who want to join to try and learn and share and network, but there will also be passers by offering nothing and just taking.

I think this forum is a great way to communicate and share detailed information.
People can google fish reports and get info from the shire/council, but i dont believe any information can be as useful as info gathered talking (in flesh/online) to other keen anglers.

I think an automatic de-registration time period should apply and that the site just make the basic 'welcome' etc forums visible to guests.
xOoOx There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. xOoOx

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”