Altona Pier Reports and tips wanted?

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
AllNamesUnavailable

Altona Pier Reports and tips wanted?

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:29 am

hey guys, back at it again with a question hehe.
So, i am planning to head to altona pier on sunday seeing as the weather is starting to warm up and it seems like a good time to fish.
i am bringing along 4 rods, 1x 6-10kg, 1x 3-5kg, 1x 2-6kg and 1x 2-4kg.
my 6-10 heavy rod will be rigged for some snapper/pinkies and my 3-5 will be for squid jigging.
2-6 will be rigged with pippies so whatever takes it will be fine, my 2-4 will be for gars as i heard they hit there this time of year.
And im just wondering whats been hitting there lately so i can tackle up and try to target as im not quite familiar with this spot, i just recently took up saltwater so im kind of an amateur but, the more you know right.
If anyone can throw some tips at us, that would be fantastic, whats biting? what time i should go? what baits i should use? and has anyone had any luck there lately?

Cheers Vic Fishing fam,
Dean
:water:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Altona Pier Reports and tips wanted?

Post by Scraglor » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:52 am

As a general rule, I have found it incredibly hard to fish 4 rods land based. Especially if you are targetting several different species. You wont end up targetting anything effectively. If its not to far from home, I would go down there just for a look around and see what people are catching. Generally its pretty easy to work out whats on by watching the guys (and girls) that are doing it succefully. Not only that, but 4 rods take up a lot of room.

My advice would be choose a species, and target it. If you want gars, set yourself up a float and a burley trail and chase gars, if you want to jig for squid do that. Some things can be pretty interchangable, like I always have a few salmon slugs with me when squid jigging, as its easy to re-rig if a school comes through, and it is easy enough to bait fish for a couple of things on a couple of rods at the same time, but it sounds like you are setting yourself up to be frustrated.

If you want to be prepared for everything, bring a tacklebox with a few rigs for bottom fishing, that you can add appropriate sized hooks to as required, some float rigs, some squid jigs and metal slugs, some soft plastics, and a range of tackle, grab a couple of 2-4kg rods designed for plastics and head down to the pier. That should cover you for most things in the bay.

This is just a general opinion on pier fishing, I havent been to Altona pier, so it may be a little different (I have done exactly this at Lorne pier which is very high and still done well) so take it with a grain of salt, but it just sounds like you are doing the same thing I did when I first started fishing piers and trying to do too much at once.

AllNamesUnavailable

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:43 am

thankyou, ill take it into consideration!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 pm

You said you are an amateur. Can you cast straight? If not, wear kevlar vests, hard hat and all sorts of armor. That place can get nasty if you cannot hit a can from a hundred meters out.

AllNamesUnavailable

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:41 pm

i meant that im an amateur at saltwater, but im pretty good at freshwater if i do say so myself.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Caught many species off that pier. Good size pinkies/snappers from the end casting straight out, salmons on the right hand side and plenty of gars down in the shallows on the left hand side :thumbsup:

AllNamesUnavailable

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Cheers man, thats what i like to hear!

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:07 pm

lol are you serious? 4 rods at altona pier? You'll be extremely lucky to have just 1 rod setting straight out..

AllNamesUnavailable

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:29 pm

as i said, i havent fished there before so, i just need to experience it and if i can use 4 rods then i will but if i cant, then obviously i wont.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:36 pm

Takes as many rods as you allowed...
I had 4 out at willy last night.....
2,baited for snapper n two for squid.
IMG_20161105_093843.jpg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”