Best Piers to fish from for snapper and pinkies?

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
AllNamesUnavailable

Best Piers to fish from for snapper and pinkies?

Post by AllNamesUnavailable » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:59 pm

hey guys,
so ive recently gotten into saltwater fishing (as you can tell from my last reports) and ive mainly been catching salmon and banjos. i really want to get into those reds but the problem it that i can only go landbased. can anyone suggest a pier that produces reddies quite a lot. i dont usually go so thats why i want a pier with an increased chance of a red, i would prefer anywhere between williamstown/altona and port melbourne/st kilda. my schedule is kind of tight as i can only go with people who can take me because i am not yet able to drive.

Appreciate it :-D
Tight lines, Dean
:water:

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Best Piers to fish from for snapper and pinkies?

Post by laneends » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Dont overlook end of sea wall casting across front of willy beach. Dont cast directly south towards bay from sea wall as its all reef. Straight across from end is clear.

Also from seawall car park in front of ball tower at williamstown. Both these areas can produce pinkies at least. Elsewhere around williamstown and altona it is all mainly rocky.

Both could probably be reached by train if necc.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Obtain a copy of the Landbased guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Brighton pier / break wall would be my suggestion. BUT don't expect a big red there's no guarantees, I got my biggest this year ( over 60cm ) after going 6 trips with donuts to show for it, who knows you might get lucky on the first trip but I doubt it. :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

marckyg123

Post by marckyg123 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:26 pm

there are some small jetties in Williamstown that can produce pinkies

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Most the piers around Williamstown/Port Melbourne all the way through to Mordialloc & beyond will produce Pinkies/Snapper at some point. However you'll find it hard pressed to get exact Snapper locations of people.

The key imo is to chase them the right time of the year and under the correct weather conditions. I would recommend start at one of the piers in Port Melbourne. Around this time of the year is when the pinkies will show themselves. You will have to fish through undersize ones until you find the keepers.

You should find the bigger ones coming towards the end of the year, there'll be plenty of sources online about the seasons. As a 'very general' rule i'd personally look for onshore winds with a high tide that corresponds with sunset/sunrise. I generally use Paternoster for Pinkies, 3/0's & running sinker for Snapper, 5/0's..

The more time you spend on the piers the more you'll figure them out. Speak to the locals, most will be happy to show you some snaps and give you some info..

Hope that helps a little :)
Az.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”