Lakes Entrance

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Lakes Entrance

Post by Blue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:41 pm

G,day to all, looking for any advice on fishing the Lakes inside with a boat.
It,s a way off yet but after our Bemm River trip in March, we are stopping off for a week at Lakes and plan to spend a bit of time exploring. Messed around many years ago land based in the North Arm and under the road bridge but this is the first time I,ve had the boat.
Any tips,pointers or more particularly, references to articles ,would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Lakes Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 am

It depends on the time of year you are here. If it is winter then you will mainly be chasing Salmon and sometimes Taylor around the entrance and along the Rock walls between lakes and Nungurner. You could put your boat in on the Tambo or Nicholson and chase bream . Once the weather warms like now, things start to improve. KGW are around in the weedy sandy areas between lakes and Metung. Currently being caught near pelican Island but that can change from day to day. Flathead mostly along the edges from 7mtrs in to the shallows. You can go prawning at night almost anywhere you can find shallow water. Also can get a few flounder while prawning. Favourite prawning areas are around Fraser island and the barrier landing/Hopeton channel.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Blue

Post by Blue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks for that,very familiar with the Tambo and will certainly be enjoying that beautiful river.
As it will be in March the water will still be warm and I guess I,ll just stooge around the main lake area and take whatever want,s to jump on. Unsure of ramps there but this won,t be hard to find out.
Appreciate your time.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Blue

Post by Blue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 am

PS Just read the Lakes reports below which I had missed earlier, tho they were mainly about outside, still interesting.Picked up on the North Arm comment and will be checking that out.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 pm

re-tyred wrote:It depends on the time of year you are here. If it is winter then you will mainly be chasing Salmon and sometimes Taylor around the entrance and along the Rock walls between lakes and Nungurner. You could put your boat in on the Tambo or Nicholson and chase bream . Once the weather warms like now, things start to improve. KGW are around in the weedy sandy areas between lakes and Metung. Currently being caught near pelican Island but that can change from day to day. Flathead mostly along the edges from 7mtrs in to the shallows. You can go prawning at night almost anywhere you can find shallow water. Also can get a few flounder while prawning. Favourite prawning areas are around Fraser island and the barrier landing/Hopeton channel.
I'm heading up there for a week over Christmas-new year, usually just go up the Tambo but the prospect of KGW in those beautiful blue shallows sounds amazing. By any chance do squid also push in there or not? And would you use paternoster or similar rig to keep it out of the weed? Cheers,
Ham

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:39 pm

re-tyred wrote:It depends on the time of year you are here. If it is winter then you will mainly be chasing Salmon and sometimes Taylor around the entrance and along the Rock walls between lakes and Nungurner. You could put your boat in on the Tambo or Nicholson and chase bream . Once the weather warms like now, things start to improve. KGW are around in the weedy sandy areas between lakes and Metung. Currently being caught near pelican Island but that can change from day to day. Flathead mostly along the edges from 7mtrs in to the shallows. You can go prawning at night almost anywhere you can find shallow water. Also can get a few flounder while prawning. Favourite prawning areas are around Fraser island and the barrier landing/Hopeton channel.
Hey re-tyred, I'm planning a trip to lakes around New Years. What are the best options at that time? From the photos I've got a pretty similar sized boat to you 4.2. I'm keen to get offshore on the reefs if theres anything about at that time? Not sure where though, obviously need good weather..

I'm guessing KGW should be firing around this time?

Any help

Cheers,
Goat

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:37 pm

KGW should be good through to about June. They are patchy. most people use paternoster with long shank hook and either prawn or mussels. I sometime use a small piece of squid with success.
Re Squid in the lake. I have caught one once near Rigby island at night. I think they are rare. Offshore after xmas you will get arrow squid quite a bit. Mostly seem to be out around the six mile reef.
Tinny fishing offshore is quite rewarding all year round. You will find me chasing flathead and gummies on the beach to the west of the entrance when the weather is perfect during the summer months. In the winter I chase pinkies and mowies on the 4 mile six mile and eight mile.
You have to get your head around the bar crossing in a tinny. Monitor the conditions all the time on the Gippsland ports site. Try and setup to cross on the flood tide and don't go if the swell is more than 1.5knts or the wind forecast more than 10-15knts
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”