Just a run of bad luck

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Pilchard

Re: Just a run of bad luck

Post by Pilchard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:53 pm

It sounds like the fish was a kingfish, or a large snapper or salmon. the kingfish will always head to a structure to snap the line off. If this has happened 3 times already, it sounds like your using the wrong line type, knot selection and rig. I'd personally go back to the drawing board, I’d try some heavier line, id ditch the braid your using and go for a heavier (main brand) braid or nylon on a reel that can hold a couple of hundred metres of 50-pound line, for kingies, ditch any snap swivel stuff mate, ditch the premade rigs you buy from the shops and get into tying your own game fishing knots. From the main line, its best to learn how to tie plat knots and learn how to also tie the strongest nylon to braid leader knots (YouTube is good for this). Best to use at least 100-pound nylon leader if you think it was a kingie and if you were around rocks mate, best to learn how to balloon float your bait out, this is very easy, this will save you from getting snagged on the rocks below. It sounds like you’ve found a good spot, experiment with a balloon float rig, these are really easy to setup - it goes - main braid line to heavy nylon leader usually held together with one of the main leader to braid knots - the heavy nylon leader is about a metre in length to a set of 2/0 or 3/0 ganged hooks holding a pilchard if you can’t be bothered catching your own live bait. YouTube how to tie on a balloon float onto the rig, the simplest way - anyone can do this - experiment with this system next time you go to that spot you might be surprised, - make sure the rod you take is one suited to catching kingies, ask the fishing shop for advice on that or google it - sounds like you’ve found a good spot.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Have you checked your guides on your rod?
One of my silicone guides cracked and split and it was fine when line was going out but cut the line like butter when retrieving

ante552

Post by ante552 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am

Pilchard wrote:It sounds like the fish was a kingfish, or a large snapper or salmon. the kingfish will always head to a structure to snap the line off. If this has happened 3 times already, it sounds like your using the wrong line type, knot selection and rig. I'd personally go back to the drawing board, I’d try some heavier line, id ditch the braid your using and go for a heavier (main brand) braid or nylon on a reel that can hold a couple of hundred metres of 50-pound line, for kingies, ditch any snap swivel stuff mate, ditch the premade rigs you buy from the shops and get into tying your own game fishing knots. From the main line, its best to learn how to tie plat knots and learn how to also tie the strongest nylon to braid leader knots (YouTube is good for this). Best to use at least 100-pound nylon leader if you think it was a kingie and if you were around rocks mate, best to learn how to balloon float your bait out, this is very easy, this will save you from getting snagged on the rocks below. It sounds like you’ve found a good spot, experiment with a balloon float rig, these are really easy to setup - it goes - main braid line to heavy nylon leader usually held together with one of the main leader to braid knots - the heavy nylon leader is about a metre in length to a set of 2/0 or 3/0 ganged hooks holding a pilchard if you can’t be bothered catching your own live bait. YouTube how to tie on a balloon float onto the rig, the simplest way - anyone can do this - experiment with this system next time you go to that spot you might be surprised, - make sure the rod you take is one suited to catching kingies, ask the fishing shop for advice on that or google it - sounds like you’ve found a good spot.
Cheers bud.

Im going down as lack of experience.
Rod is 12 ft shimano aerowave checked all rings no burr or splits.
reel is c7000i abu garcia (red) well maintaoned checked guides no cracks cuts or build up.

Ive been told by a few using swivel can be cause plus my knots are no good.

ante552

Post by ante552 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks so much guys.
All are legends.
Hopefully i can post a pic of a big catch

ante552

Post by ante552 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 am

[*]
smile0784 wrote:Have you checked your guides on your rod?
One of my silicone guides cracked and split and it was fine when line was going out but cut the line like butter when retrieving
Yeah mate checked all spent ages going through all and havnt found a problem

ante552

Post by ante552 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 am

DougieK wrote:This vid is better....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDHvXypyBG8&t=182s

Cheers dougik
will go through it tonight

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 pm

ante try the improved albright for braid to leader connection 10 then 5 wraps i was using 6lb brais to 10lb leader on the weekend snagged on a rock had to wrap the braid around my arm with jumper on got my jighead back the hook was bent (gamakatsu so not cheap crap)as for any mono swivel knots etc just a uni knot the best thing with the improved allbright you can tye it anywhere

ante552

Post by ante552 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pm

dazz999 wrote:ante try the improved albright for braid to leader connection 10 then 5 wraps i was using 6lb brais to 10lb leader on the weekend snagged on a rock had to wrap the braid around my arm with jumper on got my jighead back the hook was bent (gamakatsu so not cheap crap)as for any mono swivel knots etc just a uni knot the best thing with the improved allbright you can tye it anywhere
Cheers dazz
Ive been watching few vids.
Guy at work showed me a few knots.
Fingers crossed on next trip :victory:

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm

ante552 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:ante try the improved albright for braid to leader connection 10 then 5 wraps i was using 6lb brais to 10lb leader on the weekend snagged on a rock had to wrap the braid around my arm with jumper on got my jighead back the hook was bent (gamakatsu so not cheap crap)as for any mono swivel knots etc just a uni knot the best thing with the improved allbright you can tye it anywhere
Cheers dazz
Unsure how many times I've said this, but go and buy Geoff Wilson's book of knots and rigs.
Best fishing book you will ever own.
Triple Palomar for tying braid direct to terminal tackle.

ante552

Post by ante552 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 am

CarlG wrote:
ante552 wrote:
Cheers dazz
Unsure how many times I've said this, but go and buy Geoff Wilson's book of knots and rigs.
Best fishing book you will ever own.
Triple Palomar for tying braid direct to terminal tackle.
Thanks carlg ill happy to get that b

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”