garfish season

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: garfish season

Post by Kimtown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 pm

skronkman wrote:I chatted to a fella that has lived and fished the Mornington peninsula for 60 years and he reckons they are a vanished species. Early days you could pick up a feed of gars on any of the whiting/squid grounds as they would just be hanging around the boat. Now he can't find a school for love nor money in the bay.

A mate up at lakes reckons he frequently gets a few around the boat when offshore chasing gummies in about 20m.
They always pop up at night under lights in WPB

I just net them though lol

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Was out the other night on WP having a Squid up on Quail Bank for some bait. Lights on water. Heaps of them at the back of the boat. Never fished for them myself, but thought it was cool to see.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 pm

skronkman wrote:I chatted to a fella that has lived and fished the Mornington peninsula for 60 years and he reckons they are a vanished species. Early days you could pick up a feed of gars on any of the whiting/squid grounds as they would just be hanging around the boat. Now he can't find a school for love nor money in the bay.

A mate up at lakes reckons he frequently gets a few around the boat when offshore chasing gummies in about 20m.
yeah the gars vanished for awhile but the last 3years has been good pickup 30 odd in a couple of hours last season was awesome nice big ones

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”