garfish season

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: garfish season

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Scraglor wrote:Honestly, Im no gun Fisherman (I leave that for some of the others on here) But I catch a bunch of big snapper every year, several hundred KG Whiting, and flatties are available on demand year around. I rate Gars over pretty much everything. I love them.
jez buddy you do allright lots of fresh fish at your place

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Love garfish. My dad taught me to fish for them when I was a kid in Melbourne. We used quil floats with little long shank hooks and little bits of squid. We used to catch heaps around web dock. To cook them we would lay them gut section down on a board and roll them with a rolling pin breaking the back bone. They'd then be flat, coat them in flour and pan fry them. The bones were then soft enough to not worry about and you scoff the lot leaving the centre of the backbone. Love em.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Brownie wrote:Love garfish. My dad taught me to fish for them when I was a kid in Melbourne. We used quil floats with little long shank hooks and little bits of squid. We used to catch heaps around web dock. To cook them we would lay them gut section down on a board and roll them with a rolling pin breaking the back bone. They'd then be flat, coat them in flour and pan fry them. The bones were then soft enough to not worry about and you scoff the lot leaving the centre of the backbone. Love em.
:thumbsup:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Scraglor wrote:Honestly, Im no gun Fisherman (I leave that for some of the others on here) But I catch a bunch of big snapper every year, several hundred KG Whiting, and flatties are available on demand year around. I rate Gars over pretty much everything. I love them.
Ive never eaten gars....think i should by tbe sounds oiff things

Jared_fletcher

Post by Jared_fletcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Where’s a good place to go to catch them?

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am

Barra Mick you should - they are seriously tasty fish and more fun than you might think to catch.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm

had a crack at the hampton rock groynes only got two gars gave them to another guy you could see them but they just kept moving

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:30 pm

I have never caught many gars there dazz. Have caught some big ones though but not many.

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Tried for gars at Geelong last weekend for none; got caught up in the middle of the storm that tore up the waterfront.

Used to do very well on the humble gar at Altona reef when I had the boat...

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:33 pm

I chatted to a fella that has lived and fished the Mornington peninsula for 60 years and he reckons they are a vanished species. Early days you could pick up a feed of gars on any of the whiting/squid grounds as they would just be hanging around the boat. Now he can't find a school for love nor money in the bay.

A mate up at lakes reckons he frequently gets a few around the boat when offshore chasing gummies in about 20m.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”