Advice needed

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Advice needed

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:53 pm

CarlG wrote:As a few people have mentioned, gummies are all over westernport.
Just use your sounder, look for drop off's, fish on the lower side on the ebb, upper side on the flood.
If you fish up the north east corner of westernport, look for the junctions in Bouchier and Boultons channels, where the channel divides, and fish there. Tons of smaller gummies up that area, with bigger ones always a possibility.
Bait wise, gummies are scavengers as well as hunters, people rave about fresh trevally, but on one session, I've had 2 of them literally swim past fresh trevor to pick up a squid ring. My pb was on a ring from an arrow squid that had been in the freezer for at least 3 months, go figure.
Banana prawn is another ripping Bait, but basically just about anything will give you a shout.
Boucher’s n boultons is a nursery, if your keen on catching a hell of a lot undersize gummies and maybe keeping a 2/3kg fish possibly bit bigger then sure, as you make your way to Joes island, Warneet and into the north arm they’re considerably bigger. Always a slim chance of a big one top end tho, I would imagine they swim up to pup around there like they do at Yaringa and Warneet channel.
Your trevally baits would’ve helped regardless with the scent they give off. Sure they’ll eat anything, but if you want to do it properly and give yourself the best chance make the effort to catch bait on the day, western port is over flowing with bait options.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 pm

I caught all my gummys off squid strips ment for snapper on a 6/0 circle snapper snatchers

ante552

Post by ante552 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:42 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Just use your sounder, look for drop off's, fish on the lower side on the ebb, upper side on the flood.
If you fish up the north east corner of westernport, look for the junctions in Bouchier and Boultons channels, where the channel divides, and fish there. Tons of smaller gummies up that area, with bigger ones always a possibility.
Bait wise, gummies are scavengers as well as hunters, people rave about fresh trevally, but on one session, I've had 2 of them literally swim past fresh trevor to pick up a squid ring. My pb was on a ring from an arrow squid that had been in the freezer for at least 3 months, go figure.
Banana prawn is another ripping Bait, but basically just about anything will give you a shout.
Boucher’s n boultons is a nursery, if your keen on catching a hell of a lot undersize gummies and maybe keeping a 2/3kg fish possibly bit bigger then sure, as you make your way to Joes island, Warneet and into the north arm they’re considerably bigger. Always a slim chance of a big one top end tho, I would imagine they swim up to pup around there like they do at Yaringa and Warneet channel.
Your trevally baits would’ve helped regardless with the scent they give off. Sure they’ll eat anything, but if you want to do it properly and give yourself the best chance make the effort to catch bait on the day, western port is over flowing with bait options.
Awesome thanks bud
Will give it a try.
I see your doing pretty well on the gummy front.

Keep up tge good work

ante552

Post by ante552 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:43 pm

smile0784 wrote:I caught all my gummys off squid strips ment for snapper on a 6/0 circle snapper snatchers
Ive only caught 2 gummies one at 45cm at warmies
And 1 at gunnamatta 1.8mtr both on pillchard and both by luck

ante552

Post by ante552 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Lightningx wrote:
ante552 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
ante552 wrote:Hey guys
Majority of my fishing has been spent landbase

Now im looking at bit of boat action
I want to hit westernport mostly gummies and possibly arvo night.

But where im stuck is on spots not wanting a total secret spot but somewhere decent.

If anyone has some goid advice would be appriciated

Thanks in advance
You got a boat now mate? :P
Not yet a close mate of mine has, and ill get some hours on his then ill go buy mine
Ah ok. Fishing is definitely different with a boat. Was a lot to learn at the start and made a lot of mistakes but was worth it. Love boating now :thumbsup:
Thanks lighteningx
Will have alot to learn
But hey have to make a few errors to make the next trip better.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 pm

ante552 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Awesome thanks bud
Will give it a try.

Keep up tge good work
Thanks mate. Don't mean to sound too strong with my opinions and views, but all this stuff is recent knowledge from the last month and a bit.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:49 pm

ante552 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:I caught all my gummys off squid strips ment for snapper on a 6/0 circle snapper snatchers
Ive only caught 2 gummies one at 45cm at warmies
And 1 at gunnamatta 1.8mtr both on pillchard and both by luck

Luck or not a fish is a fish

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 pm

One of the best gummie baits is wrasse. A chunk of wrasse is what most charter boat operators use especially down the western entrance.

Its easy to come across by fishing near rocky outcrops.
I fish the western entrance for gummies but unless you are familiar with the area I would give it a miss.

Ive had mates use banana prawns up in shallow water in the top end to catch small to medium models yet using the same bait in deep water down near buoy 12 it doesnt get touched.

Squid is my favourite bait at night because sea lice demolish every other bait. Its tough and resists small pickers like little flathead and pinkies.

I dont berley when fishing for gummies bacause I find all the rubbish fish are attracted to the berley. Gummies have a good sense of smell, so fresh baits are the key.

Squid, wrasse, yakka, couta and pilchards are my favourite baits in order.
Fish a drop off and present your baits so they dont spin and sit back and wait. Lets us know how you go.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
ante552 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Awesome thanks bud
Will give it a try.

Keep up tge good work
Thanks mate. Don't mean to sound too strong with my opinions and views, but all this stuff is recent knowledge from the last month and a bit.
Your results show for you proven tactics

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:One of the best gummie baits is wrasse. A chunk of wrasse is what most charter boat operators use especially down the western entrance.

Its easy to come across by fishing near rocky outcrops.
I fish the western entrance for gummies but unless you are familiar with the area I would give it a miss.

Ive had mates use banana prawns up in shallow water in the top end to catch small to medium models yet using the same bait in deep water down near buoy 12 it doesnt get touched.

Squid is my favourite bait at night because sea lice demolish every other bait. Its tough and resists small pickers like little flathead and pinkies.

I dont berley when fishing for gummies bacause I find all the rubbish fish are attracted to the berley. Gummies have a good sense of smell, so fresh baits are the key.

Squid, wrasse, yakka, couta and pilchards are my favourite baits in order.
Fish a drop off and present your baits so they dont spin and sit back and wait. Lets us know how you go.
Good advice

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”