Buying Squid for bait

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
brynyboy1

Re: Buying Squid for bait

Post by brynyboy1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:59 pm

williwonder wrote:Hi fellow fishermen/women. Looking forward to snapper season in PPB thinking where is a good location to buy squid for bait around my area (Glen Waverley) I would prefer to buy the squid ungutted. Would a market be the go or just go to the local fishmonger? or is the frozen stuff from anaconda just as good

Ps I am time poor and have no time to catch them at the moment. Cheers
hey mate I live in box hill area and get fresh fish and squid from the market at box hill (which is not that far from GW )
But strangely enough I have had more luck with frozen bait squid from the local store that I have been near ,however I wrecken that's more luck than anything but I do keep hearing that fresh is better all fresh baits seem to stay on the hook better which has to be better.
Happy fishing ...Bryn

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Short answer is the fresher the better. I have quite honestly never caught a fish on packaged squid, but that's only my personal experience. Bluebait and pillies are the only thing i'll buy from a bait retailer, anything else is fishmonger / market material. Squid in particular seems to degrade quickly when it's defrosted.

I'm also in Glenny, the fish shop at brandon park often has a reasonable selection.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:56 pm

I find if I dont have fresh bait from a market/fishmonger/self caught then I dont have any confidence either and that seems to make a big difference also

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:11 pm

I caught n used fresh squid today for donuts. another bloke had caught snapper on a pilly that had been refrozen a couple of timess....fresh bait not aways best sometimes
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:32 am

Cuda wrote:I've never caught anything on servo squid.
I caught my first legal gummy off station pier on a chunk of frozen cali squid which I found on the small pier(to the west of station pier) the night before(I did an allnighter) so its possible to catch decent fish on crap bait! BUT for many years since then, then Ive always opted for the freshest bait possible!!! Many times Ive rocked up to Kerferd rd pier at 6am on a sat morning(after buying fresh bait at queen vic) and cleaned up, when nearby fishos(who have one an all nighter) are struggling to get bites.. FREE HOT TIP= fresh squid(caught and frozen within hrs) will catch pretty much everything in the bay. Ive personally caught everything from mulloway to garfish in PPB on fresh squid....
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:23 am

catch it buy a few jigs n they will pay off after a few bags
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:49 am

i went to the vic markets yesterday and got some huge arrowheads $6.90 kg and it was nice and fresh eat the hoods keep the heads for bait everyone wins
Cheers Nick

jake.matchett

Post by jake.matchett » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Hahah whoops I live in berwick mate

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:10 pm

springy markets squid has gone down in quality lately.. I used to buy squid at 3.99 a kg and it was fresh, white and smelt fresh. now im lucky to get anything there under 8 bux and its almost pink and purple already stinks. The leatheries love it but the snapper/gummies don't bother. Im not buyen calamari at 10-15 bux a kg for bait either, id rather eat it or catch my own...

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”