Yarra recon and cod

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Yarra recon and cod

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:05 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
ThomoT wrote:Nice action and reports. Roughly where are you scouting? upstream of Fitzsimons lane?
I did a lot of walking over a pretty wide breadth of the extremities where i have heard cod reported, Heidelberg to yarra glen.

And the frustrating part is that that section - Heidelberg to Yarra glen- is probably between 40-50 kms of actual river, yet access and fishable access is only a few kms spaced out in little pockets here and there.
However it is the proverbial double edged sword - fishing is good due to the low access and not many people getting to some places - open the access up and the fishing will be impacted.........still it would be nice to have a little better access along the length of the Yarra

BilloBroughton

Post by BilloBroughton » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:02 am

There sure are some wicked places along the Yarra if you knkw the right people or willing to go the extra mile. Being local to these secret little untouched holes it’s appreciated that they stay secret and only the most careful and passionate fishes can actually come fish these places, tight lines

Jay375

Post by Jay375 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:12 am

BilloBroughton wrote:There sure are some wicked places along the Yarra if you knkw the right people or willing to go the extra mile. Being local to these secret little untouched holes it’s appreciated that they stay secret and only the most careful and passionate fishes can actually come fish these places, tight lines
Mate there are no untouched holes or secrets, I used to fish the Yarra and regularly bush walk nowdays and I see people in all these (untouched and secret holes) :rofl:

BilloBroughton

Post by BilloBroughton » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:29 am

Not looking hard enough! There’s gems where nobody would guess and even bigger fish

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Went out today to bait fish an area ive recently scoped out in the last month. The water had the most structure ive seen - while nice it frustratingly didnt matter too much as it was limited access to even within 15ft+ to the bank often requiring crawling on hands and knees, then after that battle the bank edges thenselves had very few fish able spots.

On these trips, only having my baitcaster and lures - all ive walked away with is being covered in sticks, leaves, spiderwebs, bruises, scratches and burning rash from an as yet unidentified plant i had to bash through + left a few lure decoration donations for the cod on their snags. Needing a break from that fun, even though i knew it could be really blustery, with the river higher and dirtier from the rain i still decided to give some bait rods and cheese a shot.

The water looked like watered down ice break, was running higher but not fast in my chosen spots and luckily both were out of the wind somehow. First spot spent about 3hrs at for a couple taps and one missed take. With half the available time gone, decided to move to a new location.

It was just as quiet with only 1 missed take in about 2.5hrs, but in the final 30m as the sun was starting to set, i was casting HBs as a last hope and all of a sudden, one the bait rods bends over and heads straight for the water. Picked it up and the fish had already snagged itself, gave some gentle pulls and it freed itself and could immediately tell it was a heavy fish with a few solid runs and how it held its ground.

Got it in, had to get in the river with shoes and pants to do so, but as soon as i got a glimpse of it i didnt really care about the wet shoes and pants knowing i needed to for the sake of landing the cod and supporting it as much as possible during the process.

A quick snap against my rod - so i could get a rough measure when i got home. Went 73cm and very fat. Was surprised at how silver it was and how soft the green speckle was. Dont know why, the cod ive caught and seen in the yarra have been very green frog in colour...can anybody weigh in on light vs dark cod colorings from the same water?
rps20190324_174309.jpg

Nice fish for the yarra - its showing to be a healthy system, i hope that continues and those that fish it give it the respect and care it needs to continue.

Beat my previous cod PB from the yarra of 66cm a few years ago as a nice surprise bycatch when targeting carp. Still got to slog away at a yarra surface cod and another on lure - but the bait cod are a nice recharge between hard lure sessions.

Cheers, Chris

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm

well done, must get back to sliding the kayak in to find some of these beasties.

On a side note anybody know the furthermost point downstream cod have been caught? Fitzsimmonds lane is often quoted, but any known to have been landed further down than this?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm
Went out today to bait fish an area ive recently scoped out in the last month. The water had the most structure ive seen - while nice it frustratingly didnt matter too much as it was limited access to even within 15ft+ to the bank often requiring crawling on hands and knees, then after that battle the bank edges thenselves had very few fish able spots.

On these trips, only having my baitcaster and lures - all ive walked away with is being covered in sticks, leaves, spiderwebs, bruises, scratches and burning rash from an as yet unidentified plant i had to bash through + left a few lure decoration donations for the cod on their snags. Needing a break from that fun, even though i knew it could be really blustery, with the river higher and dirtier from the rain i still decided to give some bait rods and cheese a shot.

The water looked like watered down ice break, was running higher but not fast in my chosen spots and luckily both were out of the wind somehow. First spot spent about 3hrs at for a couple taps and one missed take. With half the available time gone, decided to move to a new location.

It was just as quiet with only 1 missed take in about 2.5hrs, but in the final 30m as the sun was starting to set, i was casting HBs as a last hope and all of a sudden, one the bait rods bends over and heads straight for the water. Picked it up and the fish had already snagged itself, gave some gentle pulls and it freed itself and could immediately tell it was a heavy fish with a few solid runs and how it held its ground.

Got it in, had to get in the river with shoes and pants to do so, but as soon as i got a glimpse of it i didnt really care about the wet shoes and pants knowing i needed to for the sake of landing the cod and supporting it as much as possible during the process.

A quick snap against my rod - so i could get a rough measure when i got home. Went 73cm and very fat. Was surprised at how silver it was and how soft the green speckle was. Dont know why, the cod ive caught and seen in the yarra have been very green frog in colour...can anybody weigh in on light vs dark cod colorings from the same water?

rps20190324_174309.jpg

Nice fish for the yarra - its showing to be a healthy system, i hope that continues and those that fish it give it the respect and care it needs to continue.

Beat my previous cod PB from the yarra of 66cm a few years ago as a nice surprise bycatch when targeting carp. Still got to slog away at a yarra surface cod and another on lure - but the bait cod are a nice recharge between hard lure sessions.

Cheers, Chris
Another really nice fish mate.
Well done :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:21 am

Very good reports and healthy fish, I do have access to a fair length of the Yarra just above Yarra glen that I haven’t fished for over 30 years, time for another trip down there, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

willow17

Post by willow17 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Some very healthy fish there happy. I have only got some smaller ones in the Yarra 20cm-65cm range so good to see a few bigger ones getting caught.

I had little visitor attacking my bait last time i was out. Surprised to see what it was when i pulled it in, even more suspired it stayed on the hook.
cray 1.jpg
cray 1.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 2795 times

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks everyone!

Thats really cool Willow17 - Ive seen shrimp, but never seen one of those from the yarra. Some baits i was pulling in to reset were roughed up and one was almost destroyed despite no visible hits - reckon that could have been a culprit along with shrimp.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”