That's it.... I'm definitely a bite fisho

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

That's it.... I'm definitely a bite fisho

Post by ChrisD » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Spent a couple of afternoons on the Yarra this Easter weekend - throwing SPs, was determined I would finally work them out.
But nope not a fish, no strikes or even follows.
So I admit defeat.... I am clearly a bait fisho and I am just not going to crack the SP code.

On the upside the river is flowing nice a clear and I hope to be back in a couple of days..... With bait.... And see if my luck changes.

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Re: That's it.... I'm definitely a bite fisho

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Ah sorry it doesn't work for you.
Have you tried diff places for diff fish?
I find plastic fishing for river trouts isn't easy, any running river with plastic isn't easy to be honest.
Try lake maybe.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:43 pm

I wouldn't give up on lures, they can be an incredibly effective way to fish. If you're looking for confidence head out to a pier on a still day and hop small soft plastics along the bottom, a few trips doing this should get you onto something or at least get you used to the feel of when your plastic sinking vs resting on the bottom which can assist with strike detection. Alternatively go for a bit of a drive into the hills and flick small plastics or hard bodies for trout, bite detection isn't really an issue with the way they take lures.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 am

Have some bait sessions to get your confidence and enjoyment back but keep at it Chris, the yarra is definitely a bloody hard lure fishery compared to other trout or cod waters. This is from experience and talking to others - i reckon if you put the same time into some of the nearby trout rivers you would have had success already.

Ive found and caught trout on SPs above warby. While i wouldnt consider myself a success or expert on SPs in freshwater rivers or anywhere - but after a lot of frustration and experimentation i found my luck by being in skinnier water, more selective of the runs i fished and having the right SP setup for it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:48 am

Theres thousands of Undersized pinkies in the bay ATM. anyone can catch them they are so aggressive in the bite.
hire a boat from the boating joints and park yourself in 8m or so and have a bit of fun.
if landbased try the piers in the CBD and surrounds.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”