Woori over Easter

westvic
Has liked: 154 times

Woori over Easter

Post by westvic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Thought I had better start contributing something after all the info I have picked up from this forum.

I spent Easter camping near Woori Yallock on the banks of the Yarra. The river here is in great condition with clear cool water, plenty of snags, plenty of water plants and depth varying from ankle to waist deep. I mainly fished a few holes just off the main current.

Over the course of the weekend I ended up with a bit of a mixed bag. 1 brown trout (small), 2 redfin, 1 Macquarie Perch, 3 eels and 6 River Blackfish. The Blackfish varied with 1 about 10cm, 4 between 25cm and 35cm and one about 45cm. None of these were really show-stopper fish but I was really pleased to see such a variety of fish…and also very happy with the large Blackfish (PB)

All fish were taken on very light gear using worms on a size 4 circle hook. I use a running sinker but have a split shot as a stopper about 30cm away from the hook to allow the bait to waft around in the current. Daytime was a complete waste of time with all the action happening for the first 2 hours after sunset on the Friday and Saturday nights.

A lot of work has been done around Woori fencing the stock away from the river and heaps of tree plantings. Hopefully this only makes it even better. It would be a great kayak water but there are a few bits where you would need to drag the kayak over.

I had a very relaxing camp with good friends, caught an amazing variety of fish (especially considering I didn’t change bait/technique/tackle) and was very happy to see such good water so close to Melbourne.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Woori over Easter

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend mate.
Nice variety of fish caught as well.
Congrats on the PB!
Cheers :thumbsup:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Nice report mate, thanks for sharing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:07 pm

Good stuff westvic

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:22 pm

That's good fishing, 40 odd years ago we used to spend most of the good weather weekends at Woori on the Yarra, clear water and sandbanks. The last recent time I was there it was overgrown with blackberries and wattles. It would be nice to see it back to it's former self, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

westvic

Post by westvic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:24 pm

davek wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:22 pm
That's good fishing, 40 odd years ago we used to spend most of the good weather weekends at Woori on the Yarra, clear water and sandbanks. The last recent time I was there it was overgrown with blackberries and wattles. It would be nice to see it back to it's former self, cheers davo
Haven't seen any sand banks there for a while now but quite a few pebble beaches. Blackberries also seem to be on the decline...still a few around but not what there used to be.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:45 am

Awesome trip mate

westvic

Post by westvic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 pm

So after a covid stuffed last easter was back to Woori Yallock area again this year. Pretty much a rinse-and-repeat from last visit with a few upgrades. This time I did take a few photos

Started with a small redfin, turned out to be the only one for the weekend
Not too much later cracked the first native...a nice Macquarie Perch
Picked up a couple of trout
No photos but a couple of short fin eeles.

However, highlight for me was around a dozen blackfish. Best two here
last one definitely a PB for me

NO carp sighted....thankfully

River looks amazingly healthy.

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:22 pm

5 species of fish :gj:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:22 pm

Good variety of fish there. I caught my first fish from the Yarra - a brown trout - this summer in Warby. I was dying to catch a MP but it was not to be...

Coincidently, I was in the area for work through a 'working for Victoria' program and a lot has been done over the past 6 months to reduce the amount of weeds along the Yarra. Blackberry is a nightmare to get rid of and some government organisations are reluctant to use herbicide so close to the water...

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”