Media Release: Wild trout conference approaching fast

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Fishsniper

Re: Media Release: Wild trout conference approaching fast

Post by Fishsniper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:29 pm

we are all drifting off the subject a bit, the proposal is about 'Target one Million' and that is to get more people fishing more often, I dont want the native species to suffer just as much as everyone else but the subject states that North eastern victorian rivers trout fisheries have declined so the forum is about Scientists, anglers and fisheries reports into the matter, so lets see what the findings are before we all give our opinions on the effect of wild trout on these rivers, no need to be anti trout because if we had to rely on just the native fisheries then we wouldn't get One Million people fishing, and if we did, how long to do you really think it would be sustainable ;-) ;-)

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:55 pm

I dont think it's target 1 million freshwater anglers in vic.

It would be interesting to see a break down of licence holders' main fishing activities (salt or fresh), from what i see on here i would guess 50%salt 30%fresh 20% regularly fish both.

a google of "True tales of the trout cod" by Will Trueman has some interesting stuff.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:43 pm

drew 2 wrote:I dont think it's target 1 million freshwater anglers in vic.

It would be interesting to see a break down of licence holders' main fishing activities (salt or fresh), from what i see on here i would guess 50%salt 30%fresh 20% regularly fish both.

a google of "True tales of the trout cod" by Will Trueman has some interesting stuff.
So your booking a seat for this conference drew :) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Good point Drew, I reckon your breakdown would be correct, but what if the wild trout fishery were wiped out in those Northern Victorian rivers? what would people catch up there, unless fisheries stocked them with heaps of trout cod, that would be pretty cool :thumbsup:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Fishsniper wrote:........................ but what if the wild trout fishery were wiped out in those Northern Victorian rivers? what would people catch up there, unless fisheries stocked them with heaps of trout cod, that would be pretty cool :thumbsup:
In regards to the trout being wiped out in northern vic rivers, I think you may be mixed up with the north east rivers. What we would call northern vic rivers carry natives and carp. Redfin around in some waters. As for the trout cod, they are here and protected...I would sort of hope you didn't realise that!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Yeah, I meant to say North east as per topic, and I just assumed they could be stocked with Trout cod, the only problem I have is if the wild trout die off and trout Cod are protected then what sort of fish could you catch there? Seems a long way to go to catch Redfin and carp which are also introduced, maybe stock it with flathead or snapper? Just joking but I bet the locals would be very unhappy, seems like we are flogging a dead horse :a_goodjob:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Maccas have been stocked in some/one rivers around Wangarrata. If Trout cod were established and not at risk, then they may have the protection status lifted. I have a feeling the lack of trout in the area is from climatic/cormorant factors rather than from being over fished. Unfortunately nothing will protect them from the heat. Yes, we are flogging a dead horse but as long as nobody hurls insults, I don't care! :)
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:08 pm

As Jim pointed out, I think that's the biggest issue threatening trout is they're just not suited to our environment, (some alpine streams with self sustaining populations are the obvious exception)
Everytime there's a heatwave I read of trout numbers being desimated, apparently the removal of introduced willows on some rivers was enough to drastically affect trout numbers.

That and the fact studies or articles, not 100% sure which, I've seen indicate stocking streams that hold existing trout populations have nil positive effect the existing population has to make you wonder if it's really worth it just to appease the minority.

Surely if the struggling trout streams were used to return trout cod and Macquarie Perch, both of which are great angling fish, to their original habitat (not necesarially range) and they were able to self sustain then that could only be seen as a positive.
As for those fish being protected, if the streams/rivers were outside of their natural range then fisheries remove the protected status,take maccas in the Yarra as an example.

That leaves suitable trout rivers and lakes to provide opportunities to hard core trout fisho's to get their fix as well as taking a step towards repairing some of the damage people have done at the same time as making two more great sport fish available to fisho's.

Just a thought...

Russ

Post by Russ » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Really enjoying reading the various posts about this subject ...... it's quite instructive. Please ...... please though ..... for goodness sake don't anyone misspell the word predatory - lest Grand Poobah Rod Bender lock the topic.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”