Media Release: Wild trout conference approaching fast

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Media Release: Wild trout conference approaching fast

Post by fishingvic » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 am

Media Release
Monday 21 September 2015 | Media contact: Nick Foster (03) 8392 6254
www.economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au

Wild trout conference approaching fast

Recreational anglers wanting to learn more about Victoria’s stream trout populations are being reminded to register for the free wild trout conference to be held in Mansfield on Saturday 21 November.
Fisheries Victoria Executive Director, Travis Dowling, said that seats were still available for the one day conference, which would assemble fisheries scientists and anglers to share the findings of research conducted on wild trout populations in rivers over the last 12 months.
“The work has been funded by fishing licence fees and the State Government’s Target One Million plan for recreational fishing, which aims to get more people fishing more often,” Mr Dowling said.
“Trout anglers had expressed concern about declining catch rates in several north eastern Victorian streams so we embarked on a suite of projects over three years to better understand what was happening.
“The conference will share the interim results from year one of these projects.
“Presentations will outline how successful natural spawnings were last winter in 12 rivers, which is a key determinant in the future health of these fisheries.
“Other topics will include bankside vegetation and its influence on trout food, the movement of trout in the Delatite River and quantifying the difference trout releases have made to angler catch rates in two rivers that were stocked.
“Conference participants will also have the opportunity to discuss the proposed introduction of a minimum size for trout and hear from scientists about how different minimum sizes would impact trout stocks and harvest opportunities.
“Dr Dan Dauwalter of Trout Unlimited, will present on how anglers and government in the United States are managing their valuable trout and salmon fisheries.”
Mr Dowling said anglers should register, for free, by visiting www.mansfieldmtbuller.com.au/twt
“The conference will be held at the Mansfield Performing Arts Centre between 9.30am and 5pm.
“Presentations will be recorded and made available for subsequent viewing online in December via our YouTube channel.
“The Mansfield and District Fly Fishers Club has organised a Film Festival to coincide with the conference.
“It will feature a series of short films about trout fishing from 7.30pm on the Saturday. Admission is $20 for adults and $10 for children. Bookings can be made when registering for the conference.”
To obtain a conference program visit www.vic.gov.au/talkwildtrout

Rod Bender

Re: Media Release: Wild trout conference approaching fast

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 pm

fishingvic wrote:Media Release
Monday 21 September 2015 | Media contact: Nick Foster (03) 8392 6254
http://www.economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au

Wild trout conference approaching fast

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................
“Conference participants will also have the opportunity to discuss the proposed introduction of a minimum size for trout and hear from scientists about how different minimum sizes would impact trout stocks and harvest opportunities.
This will be interesting!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Since the last one was locked and I shat out an opinion...

But but but they're a sport fish and they make tourist $ and but but but... Let's just throw a shitload of deer, foxes and rabbits out because they help the tourist $ through hunting and that's a good thing and huntings a sport. Who gives a flying **** what damage they previously, currently and in the future will do because we can pop a bullet in a few, spend some $ in some towns and have a jolly good time.

Carp, Redfin, Tench, Roach and Trout should never have been introduced to begin with and they sure as **** don't need continual stocking or protection. If it's so bloody important to chase stupid, tiny, pissy little minnows dump them all in the crater lakes and be done with it, or get on a bloody plane. Where people can use their cotton line just to get some thrill from the 'fight' or throw a rod 20 times just to make 1 cast. Why the hell we continue to aid destroying native Galaxiid species amongst other small natives and in some rivers our larger catchable natives for the sake of some $ and some 'prestigious' fishery is beyond me.

These minnows can't be that special, a lake around the corner from me is full of them, a lot pushing close to 60cm. Hardly anyone is ever there at prime times when I go past...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:01 pm

I dunno. I see a lot of benefits for trout. World renowned fish will bring more $ into the industry which can then be used on things like the Million Cod program. I know the only reason i'm even remotely interested in fishing is because trout fishing in streams around the goulburn is mad fun. Even though i've graduated to other species now I still enjoy it quite often. My entire conservationist philosphy pretty much stems from my teen years and love of trout fishing. In the past on here i've listed it in my top two favorite forms of fishing. Just because you personally don't like it doesnt' mean there isnt' a whole heap of people who do.

They are introduced but I honestly feel like they contribute significantly.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 am

cobby wrote:Since the last one was locked and I shat out an opinion...

But but but they're a sport fish and they make tourist $ and but but but... Let's just throw a shitload of deer, foxes and rabbits out because they help the tourist $ through hunting and that's a good thing and huntings a sport. Who gives a flying **** what damage they previously, currently and in the future will do because we can pop a bullet in a few, spend some $ in some towns and have a jolly good time.

Carp, Redfin, Tench, Roach and Trout should never have been introduced to begin with and they sure as sh*t don't need continual stocking or protection. If it's so bloody important to chase stupid, tiny, pissy little minnows dump them all in the crater lakes and be done with it, or get on a bloody plane. Where people can use their cotton line just to get some thrill from the 'fight' or throw a rod 20 times just to make 1 cast. Why the hell we continue to aid destroying native Galaxiid species amongst other small natives and in some rivers our larger catchable natives for the sake of some $ and some 'prestigious' fishery is beyond me.

These minnows can't be that special, a lake around the corner from me is full of them, a lot pushing close to 60cm. Hardly anyone is ever there at prime times when I go past...
I'm confused, is the lake around the corner full of 60cm galaxids or 60cm trout, if it is trout, can I have the location of the lake and if it is minnows, can I also have the location of the lake because I would go and net them and use them as bait in the crater lakes to catch huge chinook salmon and brown trout, but if is wild brown trout fisheries that the depatment are trying to protect then I'm totally confused :a_goodjob:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:05 pm

DougieK wrote:....................... My entire conservationist philosphy pretty much stems from my teen years and love of trout fishing. ..................................................................................................................................................................................

They are introduced but I honestly feel like they contribute significantly.
I assume your conservationist philosophy was developed being out in nature whilst fishing for trout?
Also, I think the general belief is (from people who do not like the introduced species) that they can fend for themselves without assistance. Don't think anyone is saying wipe them out because that will not happen.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 pm

I think trout are good for humanity.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:55 pm

DougieK wrote:I think trout are good for humanity.
If we're honest most of us would accept that an introduced fish is much like a bad father or a bad husband... Not withstanding it's faults you find it tends to do more good than harm. It might be an introduced species but at least it's providing entertainment for someone while it is in fact a fish.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:08 pm

As strong an opinion as I have on this, I really cbf getting involved in all the pro native/pro environment vs. pro trout pissing contest that developed in the locked thread, so all I'll say is this;

At the end of the day, no matter how much everyone argues, for better or worse, trout are here to stay because in the eyes of the powers that be, same as with deer, the positive financial impact those fisheries have on communities, local government, depi budget etc will always negate the negative impact on the environment.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm

4liters wrote:
DougieK wrote:I think trout are good for humanity.
If we're honest most of us would accept that an introduced fish is much like a bad father or a bad husband... Not withstanding it's faults you find it tends to do more good than harm. It might be an introduced species but at least it's providing entertainment for someone while it is in fact a fish.
Saying trout do more good than harm is very big stretch!

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”