New measures to safeguard stingrays

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: New measures to safeguard stingrays

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 pm

There has been one video posted by project banjo which shows a banjo still alive with the tail removed. This is certainly not acceptable but one angler doing the wrong thing does not justify the proposed laws.

The project banjo group have provided on more than one occasion false information. The original article which has since been changed claimed a ray which had the wings and tail removed whilst it was alive with zero proof of this.

The text implied the ray was still alive even though the photo clearly based on the picture the ray was well and truely dead and decaying.

I don't know how anyone could fillet a ray whilst it was alive not unless you wanted to loose some fingers in the process.

The article was updated and now reads "photo of a dead smooth ray found with wings and tail removed."

From the petition (link below) the same image was used as the above article and claimed the following

"The huge ray in this image was killed legally"

Note legally ie it was killed and then filleted ie there is zero problem.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-sense ... er-of-rays

Again this picture posted note how there is no picture of the tail. This could easily be a case of a angler trying to humanly kill the fish brain spiking before removing the tail.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-09/b ... it/8510576

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:15 pm

well.. from my catching history, i'd say the number of rays (or the portion rate of rays in sharks) are getting bigger. If this stupid law get passed you won't be surprised to see nothing else but banjo in PPB landbased lol

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Interesting the cuts on these fish and the context of the article.

"Recreational scuba divers have regularly been forced to euthanise banjo sharks"

http://au.thescubanews.com/2017/05/27/d ... australia/

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:15 pm

frozenpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
re-tyred wrote:There are people who target rays to eat. Why is it not ok to eat a ray, but ok to eat a shark?
I have interacted with the people behind this and they don't want you to eat any fish or animal and they want to impose their ideas on everyone...
This is ultimately what the want, especially around piers.

As a justifiable retaliation I implore everyone to document every instance divers break the law or are just general arseholes. They legally have to have a flag, even at piers which barely any of them do. And in a lot of my experiences at Mornington and blairgowie especially, they will purposely cut and/or tangle lines of anglers. Send all evidence to transport safety Victoria, parks and the police outlining your call for diving activities to be banned within 400m of man made structures as they're a risk to themselves and hamper the enjoyment of public structures on the rest of the public.

It's about time the terrorists had a taste of their own medicine
I wasn't aware that they needed a flag when near a pier but I have seen the same in terms of cutting lines.
it took a lot of Google work and eventually I found the info on a dive website including the relevant links to the regulations and the gazetted passing of the regulations. All comments pointed to a blanket disregard for the laws on that one.

After the bull regarding hazelwood in full knowledge the joint was closing in the imminent future, the blanket commercial bans and now bowing to the terrorists fisheries Victoria can suck on my 3rd leg

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 pm

My son targets Eagle rays to eat. He is land based and fishes from Jetties around the Bay. His right to fish has been taken away. If he is able to go for a fish now he will have to target snapper. So instead of catching 3-4 rays a year, and getting 5-10kg of meat of each he will have to take 20-30 pinkies. How is the overall fishing better by this rule.

I have spoken at length to the people behind this and they are anti animal use people. A lot are Vegans and members of PETA. One even told me there is no need for people to hunt or fish as there is plenty of food available in shops?????? If you think this will stop with this legislation you are sadly living in another world. These people will happily take away your right to fish. They will do it in small steps over many years.
When they are sick of looking at Rays under the jetties or the Rays leave because no one sits there burleying anymore they will one day decide gummy sharks are cute and want that banned..
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

georgek

Post by georgek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I am in the process of preparing a submission in response to this Notice. If anyone wants to contribute or discuss anything about it please contact me.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Highly recommend everyone with any intelligent input as has been mentioned in this thread to drop George a line.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:32 pm

re-tyred wrote:My son targets Eagle rays to eat. He is land based and fishes from Jetties around the Bay. His right to fish has been taken away. If he is able to go for a fish now he will have to target snapper. So instead of catching 3-4 rays a year, and getting 5-10kg of meat of each he will have to take 20-30 pinkies. How is the overall fishing better by this rule.

I have spoken at length to the people behind this and they are anti animal use people. A lot are Vegans and members of PETA. One even told me there is no need for people to hunt or fish as there is plenty of food available in shops?????? If you think this will stop with this legislation you are sadly living in another world. These people will happily take away your right to fish. They will do it in small steps over many years.
When they are sick of looking at Rays under the jetties or the Rays leave because no one sits there burleying anymore they will one day decide gummy sharks are cute and want that banned..
That honestly doesn't surprise me in the least. I'll be putting in a submission that in no uncertain terms highlights just how ridiculous such pandering to groups like this one with absolutely zero scientific need to do so actually is

georgek

Post by georgek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:39 pm

cobby wrote:
re-tyred wrote:My son targets Eagle rays to eat. He is land based and fishes from Jetties around the Bay. His right to fish has been taken away. If he is able to go for a fish now he will have to target snapper. So instead of catching 3-4 rays a year, and getting 5-10kg of meat of each he will have to take 20-30 pinkies. How is the overall fishing better by this rule.

That honestly doesn't surprise me in the least. I'll be putting in a submission that in no uncertain terms highlights just how ridiculous such pandering to groups like this one with absolutely zero scientific need to do so actually is
an argument against this from fisheries perspective is they also need to consider the community and community perceptions and values. This is why they talk about the "social license" and not just basing catch limits on science and research. However my view is that the proposed laws do not, cannot and will not address the issues being raised by Project Banjo or the concerns raised so far. They can't justify the implementation of new laws to reflect social values if the laws are not relevant to, or address the issues of concern. This is aside to the multitude of other reasons though, like the impact on fisho's as relevant stakeholders and the impact on the millions of fisherpeople.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi George if you don't mind can you fill us in to who you are.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”