New measures to safeguard stingrays

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Media Release
Monday 19 June 2017 | Media contact: Jane Rawson 03 8392 6757
www.vic.gov.au/fisheries

Fisheries Victoria is seeking public comment on a set of proposed measures aimed at increasing
protection to the States’ iconic rays, skates and guitarfish.
A Fisheries Notice was released today proposing a range of reforms to the way recreational fishers
catch these species. The notice is open for consultation for the next two months.
The notice proposes prohibiting the take or possession of large, iconic rays with a wingspan wider
than 1.5m.
It is proposed that the catch (bag) limit be reduced from five to one per day for rays less than 1.5m
wide, skates or guitarfish.
Fishers will not be permitted to take any of these species within 400m of any man-made fixed
structure including any pier, jetty, wharf or breakwater.
Fisheries regulations already require fishers to return any unwanted catch to the water with the
least possible injury or damage.
Over the past few months, Project Banjo has echoed community concerns about socially
unacceptable treatment of rays, particularly those taken from piers and jetties in and around Port
Phillip Bay.
Fisheries Victoria Executive Director, Travis Dowling, said the proposed reforms have been
developed to address those concerns.
“We are working constructively with Project Banjo and recreational fishing groups to increase
awareness and protection of rays and banjo sharks,” Mr Dowling said.
“We are improving signage on piers to remind fishers they need to be responsible in the way they
fish for, handle and release these species.”
“The proposed reforms will take that a step further, and we urge all interested fishers and members
of the community to make a contribution to the proposed rules on rays and skates.”
The notice is open for consultation until Monday 14 August 2017 and can be viewed at
www.vic.gov.au/fisheries.
19225510_1614011655336005_8154128223155264362_n.jpg
19225510_1614011655336005_8154128223155264362_n.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: New measures to safeguard stingrays

Post by Brett » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Won't make a difference.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Typical government department knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem and insane pressure from ecoterrorists and the gullible who believe their words without evidence.

Not that it affects my fishing in any way, once my current rfl expires in a few years I won't be renewing it and just run the gauntlet, haven't seen a fisheries officer in years so should be all good... Why would I financially support an organization that sees fit to unjustifiably reduce my access to the resources available to appease the terrorists

Ekaz3556

Post by Ekaz3556 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm

What a great idea, if they really want to protect banjos sureky a better idea would be to conduct lessons for the banjos. I consistently spend money on gummy rigs and these dumb bastards keep jumping on the hooks. Clearly these are not banjo rigs, they are gummy rigs. Educate the banjos to not bit hooks clearly not targeting them and the problem should be solved. They could also educate them on how to get rid of parasites and life would be much easier for them as well.
Clearly the government is introducing a knee jerk response, rather than thinking the issue through as I have done. I am am ideas person, I think I will go dig a hole

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Ekaz3556 wrote:What a great idea, if they really want to protect banjos sureky a better idea would be to conduct lessons for the banjos. I consistently spend money on gummy rigs and these dumb bastards keep jumping on the hooks. Clearly these are not banjo rigs, they are gummy rigs. Educate the banjos to not bit hooks clearly not targeting them and the problem should be solved. They could also educate them on how to get rid of parasites and life would be much easier for them as well.
Clearly the government is introducing a knee jerk response, rather than thinking the issue through as I have done. I am am ideas person, I think I will go dig a hole
lmfas..gold

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:52 pm

I need lessons on how to play one.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Classic example of a few $$$holes ruining it for everybody.
Unfortunately people want to eat everything possible out of the water and don't give a fark about preserving the species. Worse than that, some idiots have cut these animals and thrown them back in the water getting the public's back up.
Last edited by Bayrock on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Nude up wrote:I need lessons on how to play one.
which one, banjo or guitar(fish)? Might as well learn how to skate :-)

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 pm

It won't stop people targeting them for catch and release - but then maybe that's the point? You can't take more than one for food in this case. On the other hand, who on earth (apart from fish & chip shop owners) would take a 1.5m stingray for a meal?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Seems fair enough, although I doubt it will stop dickheads from needlessly killing and throwing away banjos. More enforcement of the existing rules would be the best bet but I see no sign of that happening.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”