GIVING THE GIPPSLAND LAKES BACK TO RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: GIVING THE GIPPSLAND LAKES BACK TO RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

Post by frozenpod » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Yep, 100% legal and nothing to do with the netter.

I wonder what rec fisho will have to say when the go to the gippy lakes and can only catch carp.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:22 pm

frozenpod wrote:Yep, 100% legal and nothing to do with the netter.

I wonder what rec fisho will have to say when the go to the gippy lakes and can only catch carp.
Or only have their baits pinched by shore crab. **** people are stupid

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 am

According to the paper the budget for this is $27 million
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:42 am

According to VFAs most recent catch figures (2016/17) 232 tonnes of fish were pulled from Gippsland Lakes. Of this Tailor where the highest proportion at 56 tonnes followed by Black Bream at 46 tonne (or well over 100,000 fish if we assume an average 400grams per fish)

This shows that Black Bream well present in the lakes.

Whether this is environmentally sustainable or commercially viable is not for me to say.

Will stopping it improve recreational fishing? Probably, but not significantly. Given the vast area of the lakes, the number don’t seem huge to me.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:13 am

2017/18 figures showed 12.9 tonne black bream from the lake. 1970-1980s 200-400 tonne per year with 30 active licences and the recreational fishing was awesome.

The big issue is that they have spent the last few year developing a European Shore crab industry. This will go as well as it is all under the same licence. Even if they were allowed to continue to use traps it would not be viable without the Taylor and mixed fish.
Any way it is water under the bridge now. It is highly unlikely a Liberal National coalition will win the state election so they are gone within 3 years.
I think $27 million of our money could have been better spent. It would have gone a long way to re establish sand inter tidal zones and maybe a salt water barrier in McLellan strait.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:05 am

I was not aware of this crab ? Vic fisheries states:

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/operational-poli ... shore-crab

To help prevent the spread of this invasive crab, Victoria has new regulations:

Recreational anglers must not use European green shore crabs as live bait or return live unused crabs to the water
European green shore crabs can now be taken in unlimited numbers everywhere other than the intertidal zone of Port Phillip Bay.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:26 am

hornet wrote:I was not aware of this crab ? Vic fisheries states:

Recreational anglers must not use European green shore crabs as live bait or return live unused crabs to the water
European green shore crabs can now be taken in unlimited numbers everywhere other than the intertidal zone of Port Phillip Bay.
As I said earlier, the 10 commercials have been catching and sending them to market for a couple of years. They are pest that is the equivalent of carp but they are a saltwater crab. They destroy the sea grass by cutting it off at the base. To save the lake we need to restore the seagrass. Swans pull it out from the top to get the small crustaceans on it. Between the two it is all but gone. Sea grass grows between 1 and 4mtrs depth in seawater and brackish water. In can withstand a fairly strong current but wave action rips it out. So doesn't grow on the surf beach. It is a major habitat for bream whiting and a number of juvenile fish

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am

brybry wrote:According to VFAs most recent catch figures (2016/17) 232 tonnes of fish were pulled from Gippsland Lakes. Of this Tailor where the highest proportion at 56 tonnes followed by Black Bream at 46 tonne (or well over 100,000 fish if we assume an average 400grams per fish)

This shows that Black Bream well present in the lakes.

Whether this is environmentally sustainable or commercially viable is not for me to say.

Will stopping it improve recreational fishing? Probably, but not significantly. Given the vast area of the lakes, the number don’t seem huge to me.
Yes they are present in the Lake in small numbers. It is a bit like having some lush river flat with dairy cows on it and next to it some unfenced scrub. Sure some cows would wander around the scrub but there is never going to be any quantity, unless you restore it to lush pasture.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:09 am

re-tyred wrote:
hornet wrote:I was not aware of this crab ? Vic fisheries states:

As I said earlier, the 10 commercials have been catching and sending them to market for a couple of years. They are pest that is the equivalent of carp but they are a saltwater crab. They destroy the sea grass by cutting it off at the base. To save the lake we need to restore the seagrass. Swans pull it out from the top to get the small crustaceans on it. Between the two it is all but gone. Sea grass grows between 1 and 4mtrs depth in seawater and brackish water. In can withstand a fairly strong current but wave action rips it out. So doesn't grow on the surf beach. It is a major habitat for bream whiting and a number of juvenile fish
Which is why I laughed over a decade ago at claims by certain people that the floating weed problem in Westernport would be magically fixed the second Mirabella and Co were banned. What happened? Swans and waves still rip it up and it's the same problem.

Plus the siltation in areas of the lakes system adds to the woes

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”