OPERATION DELIVERS JET-SKI USERS A WAKE-UP CALL

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

OPERATION DELIVERS JET-SKI USERS A WAKE-UP CALL

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Water Police are reminding jet-ski users to play it safe in the water this summer after a number of people were detected doing the wrong thing in a recent operation in Port Phillip Bay.

As part of Operation Jetwash, Water Police conducted patrols between St Kilda along the foreshore to Martha Cove, primarily focusing on jet-ski use and behaviour.

A total of 120 infringements for marine safety offences have been issued during the operation which ran on 27 December, 2018 and the 3 January, 2019 and will continue throughout the January holiday period.

Infringements included operating within no boating zones, speeding and other safety based offences.

Those breaking the law can face fines of up to $806.

Senior Sergeant Alistair Nisbet said the operation sent a clear message that police would not tolerate unsafe behaviour on the water.

“We’re keeping a keen eye on waterways this summer and we’ll catch up with anyone we see doing the wrong thing,” Senior Sergeant Nisbet said.

“Jet-skis are heavy pieces of machinery operated in the water environment and are capable of reaching high speeds. Their safe operation is completely within the hands of the user.

“Therefore, when jet-skis are not used in a safe manner they are capable of seriously injuring.

“Users need to ensure they obey No Boating Zones or Swimming Only Zones, with both exclusions and reduced speed limits applying to particular areas around Victoria.

“It is also critical that operators of Personal Water Crafts (PWC) understand their obligations of distance from shore, people and vessels and that PWCs, along with the operators, are to be equipped with the necessary safety equipment.

“Police are all for people having fun on the water this summer, but it can’t come at the cost of safety.”

Senior Sergeant Nisbet reminded water users that under the Marine Safety Act, anyone caught hooning can have their vessel restricted or seized.

Police will continue to monitor behaviour on waterways across the state over summer, conducting both land and water patrols.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: OPERATION DELIVERS JET-SKI USERS A WAKE-UP CALL

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Just shows how many people either don't know the rules or don't care.

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:51 pm

I’m glad to see this, there are some real **** heads on the water at the moment.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Definitely. Saw plenty when I was last on the water...

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Last time I went out fishing I saw jetskis going full speed right past a divers flag, so I tried to explain to them what it was and they had no clue. I reckon the license test needs to be harder.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”