Number of rods - question.

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
jedgpz

Number of rods - question.

Post by jedgpz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 pm

Heard of a incident / situation that I have never heard of before in regards to the number of rods that you are allowed.

I know that the rules are 2 rods inland waters and 4 rods marine waters. but I head of some blokes that were fined (NSW inland) for having more than 2 rods in the boat that were rigged. These lines were not in the water but on the boat but were rigged. I was of the under standing that it would be ok to have the rods with you but not use them all at once but they were fined.
Is this the same in VIc waters? for example yesterday I had in my boat marine waters, 5 rods 2 ready for whiting fishing, 2 ready for snapper and one with a bait jig. At no time did I use more that 4 rods most of the time I only had 3 in the water.
When fishing for Cod I often have 3 rods with me one with a spinnerbait one with a hard body and one with a surface lure.
Does any one know or had any experience with this.
Just want to make sure I do the right thing
Cheers Jed

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Number of rods - question.

Post by cobby » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 pm

By definition the fines were correct. But 99% of the time the extra rigged rods are overlooked because officers know you can't cast 2 lures at once, or have watched the 2/4 rods out for the previous 5 minutes soaking baits.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Yes, NSW fishing regulations are much more specific with regards to equipment use/possession with regards to fishing rods/lines:

"Line fishing
You are not permitted to:

Carry excess fishing lines in, on, or adjacent to waters. Spare lines should not be rigged and should be properly stowed."

Whereas the Victorian guide doesn't go into such detail. Simply stating that:

"Lines, hooks and jigs
Lines
You must not leave a line or rod unattended. Your line must be in sight and within 50m of you.

Hooks and jigs
One hook is defined as:

a single hook
a group of 4 hooks linked together by the eye (e.g. a treble hook and a keeper hook)
a lure
a squid jig
a bait jig."

Rules are quite clear for NSW. Hence, when I fish on the Murray, i make sure my spare rods are not rigged with a lure or hook attached.

It makes you wonder, how the tournament guys manage to legally fish with their rods rigged with multiple different types of lure/flies/soft plastic?

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 am

Some nice info so far

Heres for queensland tidal and fresh for fishing lines.

Freshwater

No more than six fishing lines should be used alone or combined.
A fishing line should not be set as a cross-line.
Only one hook or artificial fly/lure can be attached to a line.
You can’t be more than 50m away from any of your fishing lines.

Tidal water

Up to three fishing lines are permitted consisting of a total of six hooks.
A fly or lure is considered equal to one hook.
A cross line, drum line, free-floating line or set line is not included as a fishing line.
You must be present with the line at all times.

So this would mean that you can have more rods rigged but not in the water. Best to always contact fisherys in these regards about how it applies to rods in the water vs out of the water and even vs in a car or in rod holders on the car.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:28 am

What the others said about NSW Jed. In Vic it is/was fine to do although they have now released updated regs so it is best to check...but I doubt if it will have changed.

If you want to take the risk of having 3 rods rigged on your boat in NSW then you have to rely on a couple things if caught. First of all you hope the officer has been having a good day!!! Secondly, you need to pass the 'attitude test'! I know you will but anyone who makes a fuss will fail and be fined. On saying that, one of the guys who you may know who works in a local tackle store was caught in NSW with extra rods rigged (he didn't know the rules and he is one of the most respectable people I know)...he was fined and had extra rods, including lures on the rods, seized. Seized gear was returned after the payment of the fine.

You can easily say with extra rods rigged with lures that you can only cast one at a time. Yet how many could you use trolling behind a boat at the one time if you wanted to do the wrong thing? The 'I can only use one lure rod at a time' arguement does not stack up.

Your only hope as has been mentioned is that they have been observing you for a while doing the right thing. I don't think it is worth taking the risk.
Cheers
Jim

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:36 am

For 99.9% of anglers this reg is unnecessary as most do the right thing and common sense should prevail as sports fishermen are just trying to save time retying lures as frequently to get a bite.

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm

wow thanks for the replies
Will not have 3 rods with lures on them in the murray any more....

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”