Making Boating Better For Victorians

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Media contact: Emma Webster 0428 171 119 | transportmedia@minstaff.vic.gov.au
Monday, 25 March 2019
MAKING BOATING BETTER FOR VICTORIANS

Boating will become safer, cheaper and easier for all Victorians thanks to a raft of changes that will boost recreational boating and fishing.
Minister for Fishing and Boating Jaala Pulford today announced that Better Boating Victoria will be established to oversee the introduction of free parking and launching at all public Victorian boat ramps.
It’s part of an unprecedented investment in boating and fishing by the Andrews Labor Government, that will ensure every dollar of licence and registration revenue can be directed to projects that improve boat ramps and other facilities.
The Labor Government will establish the Better Boating Fund to make possible boating facility upgrades and major maintenance of Victoria’s boating infrastructure.
Better Boating Victoria will oversee the delivery of upgrades and important maintenance at Mordialloc, Queenscliff, Point Richards, Hastings, Rhyll and Cowes Jetty.
Eight new casual berths will also be established for public use across Port Phillip Bay.
Better Boating Victoria will also review the management of boating infrastructure in Port Phillip and Western Port
Consultation with key industry stakeholders in the fishing and boating industry will commence shortly to further refine the scope of the Better Boating initiatives.
These changes will make it easier and more affordable for Victorian families to get out on the water.
Better Boating Victoria builds on the success of the Government’s record $46 million investment in the Target One Million program, including a massive boost to fish stocking, a new native fish hatchery and better planning for fishing tourism.
The Government is also removing commercial net fishing from Port Phillip Bay and Gippsland Lake which will protect the remaining biomass of fish and boost recreational fishing and boating – attracting tourists and creating jobs.
VicRoads will soon finalise the design for recreational fishing licence plates for cars and boats. Over 2000 entries have received already and the competition closes this week.

For more information, visit transport.vic.gov.au/betterboating
Quotes attributable to Minister for Fishing and Boating Jaala Pulford
“We’ve created Better Boating Victoria to oversee our unprecedented investment in boating that will ensure more Victorians can enjoy our wonderful waterways.”
“We’re making it easier and cheaper for Victorian families to get out on the water.”

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Making Boating Better For Victorians

Post by skronkman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Increased cost of boat license and registration fees in 3. 2. 1.....

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Hey rocky watch me pull a jetty outta my ass...

I'm still waiting for longer, wider extensions to be made to existing piers..

There are more land based fisho's than any other group.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm

So when is the free launching/parking going to happen?
During the elections last year, they hoped it would be in place before the 2019 snapper season

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm
I have been holding off buying a season pass because i thought this would have gone through by now.

I have emailed the address on the website.. lets see if i get a reply.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:22 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm
I have been holding off buying a season pass because i thought this would have gone through by now.

I have emailed the address on the website.. lets see if i get a reply.
Victorian State Elections were held in November 2018, they would have got "Voter Mileage" making announcements that the Scheme is "imminent" (but probably more like "Scheming")

Next Elections are due in 3-4 years

With their comment/statement of "Consultation with key industry stakeholders in the fishing and boating industry will commence shortly to further refine the scope of the Better Boating initiatives" , , , , with that comment it sounds like it is going to be an orchestrated process, a stretched out orchestrated process. Doesn't sound like Snapper Season 2019 was in mind contrary to claims to prospective Voters.

My guess would be, it would be all rolled in, ready to get mileage for the next elections. Why roll it out now to completion, to be a distant forgotten good deed at the next elections. Probably using words like "As we promised , , , , blah blah blah

Hey look at that , , , , Bugattis come in a cynical model too ;-)

Cheers, Bugatti

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm

To be honest I couldn't care less about the free boat ramp promise I want the improved facilities and a job on one of the infrastructure projects so I can earn a cool 200k a year and buy another boat so I can have a bay boat and an offshore boat....

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm
To be honest I couldn't care less about the free boat ramp promise I want the improved facilities and a job on one of the infrastructure projects so I can earn a cool 200k a year and buy another boat so I can have a bay boat and an offshore boat....
At $18 a day, it quickly adds up if you regularly use a ramp without a season pass.

I go roughly 50/50 between Newport and Werribee South, but i can only get a local resident pass for Werribee South. The ramp fee at Newport is almost 1/3 of my total expense for the day out.

Of course i also would love to see improved facilities.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:18 pm

I do understand the cost side of it Stevo and considering the faciities in NSW are 10 times better for free.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm
rb85 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm
At $18 a day, it quickly adds up if you regularly use a ramp without a season pass.

I go roughly 50/50 between Newport and Werribee South, but i can only get a local resident pass for Werribee South. The ramp fee at Newport is almost 1/3 of my total expense for the day out.

Of course i also would love to see improved facilities.
I use multiple ramps as well...it adds up.
My only concern is that most ramps are beyond capacity already, and I'm presuming an influx in punters using the ramps when its free will increase (as well as cars taking up the valuable free parking on offer). Really hope they upgrade the parking capacity on most ramps, but not sure it's possible with most of them.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”