BOATING AND FISHING BONANZA AT TULLAROOP

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 pm

Media contact: Jordy Jeffrey-Bailey 0422 641 929 | transportmedia@minstaff.vic.gov.au
Tuesday, 21 May 2019
Freshwater fishers with kayaks, canoes and boats with electric motors will have more opportunity to get out on the water, with access to Tullaroop Reservoir now open thanks to the Andrews Labor Government.
Minister for Fishing and Boating Jaala Pulford said expanding on-water access for recreational boaters delivered on a key commitment of the Labor Government’s $34 million Target One Million plan to get more people fishing, more often.
From today, kayakers, canoeists and fishers with electric motorised boats can now get out on the water at Tullaroop Reservoir to catch freshwater fish or just enjoy the day.
New on-water access at Tullaroop Reservoir follows in the footsteps of Barkers Creek Reservoir near Harcourt, which was opened to kayaks and canoes in April.
A new boat ramp, extended car parking and new fishing and water safety signage has been installed at Tullaroop by Goulburn Murray Water, thanks to an $80,300 grant.
Better boating access to Tullaroop Reservoir will help recreational fishers make the most of the waterway’s stocked fish population, which has provided excellent fishing in recent times.
In the last four years, close to 180,000 brown trout and rainbow trout, grown at Fisheries’ Snobs Creek hatchery, have been stocked into the reservoir, complementing the redfin population that breeds naturally.
In March, Tullaroop Reservoir was also stocked with 100,000 golden perch fingerlings for the first time to create a mixed fishery in the years ahead.
Trout fishing will continue to be great in the cooler months and wetting a line for golden perch will be better in summer.
Other reservoirs soon to be opened for better on-water access include Lauriston, Malmsbury, Hepburn, and the Upper Coliban.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Fishing and Boating and Member for Western Victoria Jaala Pulford
“We promised to open up access to reservoirs for boating anglers and kayakers, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”
“On-water access will mean more people can wet a line and take advantage of our record Victorian fish stocking that’s gone from strength to strength.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Water Lisa Neville
“Creating a sustainable fishery with more people out on the water will mean a boost for the regional economy. These projects are about finding the right balance between using our water resources to benefit locals, while maintaining water quality.”

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: BOATING AND FISHING BONANZA AT TULLAROOP

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm

That's great news

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Pity about the boats, I doubt many of them will abide by the electric motor rule
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm

In regards to boats using electric motors, does anyone know what the regs are? Does a petrol outboard have to be fully trimmed up, removed altogether, or doesn't matter? I assume portable petrol tanks would need to be removed, but what if it's an inbuilt tank?

This is great news. There's some huge fish in that place. I'll definitely be hitting it up.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Thats great news some fantastic fisheries being developed.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm
In regards to boats using electric motors, does anyone know what the regs are? Does a petrol outboard have to be fully trimmed up, removed altogether, or doesn't matter? I assume portable petrol tanks would need to be removed, but what if it's an inbuilt tank?

This is great news. There's some huge fish in that place. I'll definitely be hitting it up.
They probably haven't thought that far ahead.

I might head up on saturday and hopefully pick up some smoker fodder before the big ones are fished out.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 21, 2019 8:35 pm

Good to hear!
Very good news :thumbsup:

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 pm

Leave all engine gear connected to prevent fuel or oil spills. Engine just can not be started, keep it at the trim you normally would when using your electric motor.

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 am

4liters wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 pm
Redhunter wrote:

I wouldn't risk it (explaining to the officers).
I think the idea is not to contaminate/pollute the reservoir.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 am
4liters wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 pm
Redhunter wrote:

I wouldn't risk it (explaining to the officers).
I think the idea is not to contaminate/pollute the reservoir.
I’m not sure if leakage of oil/hydraulic fluid is sufficient to cause pollution problems but thewake from boats travelling fast (I.e. with an outboard) would erode the banks and silt up the dam.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”