BIG CATS SPOTTED SWIMMING AT LAKE PURRUMBETE

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: BIG CATS SPOTTED SWIMMING AT LAKE PURRUMBETE

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:59 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm
click bait title

I wanted to see a genuine panther frolicking around in the drink
I was thinking that from the title
I think there were a few of us thinking that mate :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Pretty looking fish that cheetah trout :)

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Cheetah trout are a cross between brook trout and rainbow trout. Tiger trout are a cross between brook trout and brown trout.

The theory is as they are hybrids and sterile no energy is devoted to reproduction, so growth rate is higher than the pure species.

The tragedie for Purrumbete was redfin appearing. Prior to that it produced huge rainbows and browns, 6 pounders were common. I think it might have had the highest growth rate for rainbows in the world.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Truedogz,
I reckon Redfin are a kiss of death for any enclosed fishery.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 pm
Cheetah trout are a cross between brook trout and rainbow trout. Tiger trout are a cross between brook trout and brown trout.

The theory is as they are hybrids and sterile no energy is devoted to reproduction, so growth rate is higher than the pure species.

The tragedie for Purrumbete was redfin appearing. Prior to that it produced huge rainbows and browns, 6 pounders were common. I think it might have had the highest growth rate for rainbows in the world.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Ah, there you go! The difference is whether the brooky's mate is a bow or a brown. I obviously got my wires crossed. Thanks for clearing that up mate.
Yes, Purrumbete has had some amazing growth rates recorded in years gone by. From my understanding, a netting survey years ago produced a 3y.o. rainbow hen that went 22lbs. Unreal. Redfin have certainly put pressure on the lake, and the numbers in there are simply ridiculous. It could never be fished out. Before the introduction of these buggers, I hear the minnow population was as good, if not better than the Bull.
How long do you reckon it's been since either lake produced a 20lb plus beast? 20-30 yrs? I'm about due...haha.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the two hybrid species I was getting them confused. Redfin are a pest and no doubt they have a similar effect on lakes such as Blue Rock.

Previously I have let my feelings be known on trout stocking my views have somewhat softened. So long as they are stocked in lakes/impoundments I believe they can create great fisheries for winter. As for streams I don't see the need for closed seasons and low bag limits if they are competing against native species, money talks though.

Like Kimtown I was hopeful of a picture of the elusive mythical panther bummer.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Regarding the redfin, no doubt they have an impact. I am uncertain about the western lakes but I know in what used to be my fav trout location, Waranga Basin, redfin were plentiful in ridiculous numbers. They provided a fantastic food source for the trout! No doubt they also impacted small native species...I have no doubt the trout would have made an impact too! Of course it may be slighty different at the basin as it wasn't set up as trophy trout fishery, so we were happy with whatever come along.

Anyway, them days are gone...the days of watching the 4 lb mono fly of the spool being dragged by a 60 cm + redfin fed trout!
smile0784 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:40 pm
I'm also trying to see where the why people thinking the way they are

I'm.all for every one having there own opinion
Some people are pro native and believe that the $$$ should be spent on stocking natives. Reality is fisheries are trying to please everyone and aren't doing too bad a job as far as I'm concerned. Is it a waste of money stocking these unusual species...who knows? Was there much money spent on the Tiger trout...when will they be released?
Cheers
Team Bender
Knows the truth is out there!

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:26 am

April Fool wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 pm
Regarding the redfin, no doubt they have an impact. I am uncertain about the western lakes but I know in what used to be my fav trout location, Waranga Basin, redfin were plentiful in ridiculous numbers. They provided a fantastic food source for the trout!
Jim, there is a simple explanation why redfin have had such a negative effect on the trout fishery of Purrumbete. A principle in ecology is a rough rule of thumb known as the 10% rule. As you move up a food pyramid roughly 10% of the energy is past onto the next trophic level. The rest is lost as metabolic waste etc. Prior to redfin the food chain would have been algae > zooplankton > galaxiids > trout. So 1000 J of energy in algae results in 1 J of trout. After redfin you have algae > zooplankton > galaxiids > redfin > trout. In this scenario only 0.1 J of energy in algae ends up in trout. Of course the trout still eat galaxiids but there is also the negative effect of reduced numbers of galaxiids through predation by redfin. Where lakes are stocked with trout where there are myriads of redfin predation of stocked trout fry/yearlings becomes an issue too. The old Victorian Fisheries and Wildlife Department had to curtail some trout stockings because of this issue.

In every case I can think of the arrival of redfin has produced a decline in trout fisheries. Carp have also produced declines for trout fisheries in lakes for similar reasons. In most cases redfin arrived in lakes in the early twentieth century and there are few people alive that can recall those fisheries. Exceptions are Eildon (redfin turned up in the late 1940s) and Purrumbete (late 1980s). You would have had a better trout fishery in Warranga without redfin. In fact, I did read some old report about redfin having a bad impact there in the early days.

What is worrying is I have heard that redfin have been caught in Dartmouth though I am not certain it is true.

For whatever benefits redfin have provided (I too grew up on them as the bread and butter fish) in most cases they have been detrimental to pre-existing fisheries. It is just that in most cases few people are around to have seen the before and after. I rate them up there with carp as an environmental problem. Unfortunately, because they have been around so long people like them without comprehending what they have lost. The same thing is now happening with carp.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:37 am

Truedogz wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:26 am
April Fool wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 pm
Regarding the redfin, no doubt they have an impact. I am uncertain about the western lakes but I know in what used to be my fav trout location, Waranga Basin, redfin were plentiful in ridiculous numbers. They provided a fantastic food source for the trout!
Jim, there is a simple explanation why redfin have had such a negative effect on the trout fishery of Purrumbete. A principle in ecology is a rough rule of thumb known as the 10% rule. As you move up a food pyramid roughly 10% of the energy is past onto the next trophic level. The rest is lost as metabolic waste etc. Prior to redfin the food chain would have been algae > zooplankton > galaxiids > trout. So 1000 J of energy in algae results in 1 J of trout. After redfin you have algae > zooplankton > galaxiids > redfin > trout. In this scenario only 0.1 J of energy in algae ends up in trout. Of course the trout still eat galaxiids but there is also the negative effect of reduced numbers of galaxiids through predation by redfin. Where lakes are stocked with trout where there are myriads of redfin predation of stocked trout fry/yearlings becomes an issue too. The old Victorian Fisheries and Wildlife Department had to curtail some trout stockings because of this issue.

In every case I can think of the arrival of redfin has produced a decline in trout fisheries. Carp have also produced declines for trout fisheries in lakes for similar reasons. In most cases redfin arrived in lakes in the early twentieth century and there are few people alive that can recall those fisheries. Exceptions are Eildon (redfin turned up in the late 1940s) and Purrumbete (late 1980s). You would have had a better trout fishery in Warranga without redfin. In fact, I did read some old report about redfin having a bad impact there in the early days.

What is worrying is I have heard that redfin have been caught in Dartmouth though I am not certain it is true.

For whatever benefits redfin have provided (I too grew up on them as the bread and butter fish) in most cases they have been detrimental to pre-existing fisheries. It is just that in most cases few people are around to have seen the before and after. I rate them up there with carp as an environmental problem. Unfortunately, because they have been around so long people like them without comprehending what they have lost. The same thing is now happening with carp.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
It’s interesting reading that and trying to encourage a change in perception. As a child learning to fly fish the older guys from the club explained just this in a more basic explanation and encouraged us to dispatch of the Redfin. Until then having learnt from others previously they were considered a valuable fish to target.

The upside is they aren’t bad eating so you can get a feed while removing the pests.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:18 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:40 pm
I'm also trying to see where the why people thinking the way they are

I'm.all for every one having there own opinion
Opinions are like Arseholes Smile everyone has one then some let them filter up to their brains ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”