Abolishing Ramp Fees To Get More Victorians Out On The Water

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Abolishing Ramp Fees To Get More Victorians Out On The Water

Post by cobby » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Dredging this one back up after trawling through legislation to correct someones misheld beliefs that money will be diverted from elsewhere to fund BBVs free ramps push. This is directly quoted from the pdf of the marine safety act of 2010. Under part 8.10 pages 265 and 266.

"The Governor in Council may make regulations for or with respect to a fee or other amount to be imposed on licence holders, applicants for licences, persons in whose names vessels are registered or any other class of persons— (a) for the provision and maintenance of boating facilities and services for the public; and (b) for the conduct of boating safety, boating education and boating promotion programs from the public. (2) The person in whose name a vessel is registered must pay in accordance with the regulations any fee imposed by the Governor in Council under this section, unless— (a) the person or vessel is exempted under section 260; or (b) the vessel is a vessel referred to in section 39(3). (3) Any money available for the purposes of this section must be used for the purposes specified in subsection (1) and may, for those purposes, be paid to any person, authority or organisation approved by the Minister. (4) Section 310(3) and (4) apply to and in relation to a fee imposed under this section. "

There you have it. Everyone for decades has been paying not once, but twice for something that wasn't exactly delivered. Councils and foreshore committees of management should have been applying for and given funds for maintenance and upgrades without gouging ramp fees at all. That clause has been written into the legislation since boat registrations were first enacted. The costs are indexed against CPI so they only increase at the rate of inflation annually.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Cobby you lost me mate
Can you simplify it for me

cobby

Post by cobby » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:24 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:09 pm
Cobby you lost me mate
Every time you renew your rego and boat licence that money goes into a kitty to be spent on public boating facilities and boating education programs. We should never have been paying for ramp fees at all because the money was already sitting there

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:47 pm

cobby wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:24 pm
smile0784 wrote:
Cobby you lost me mate
Every time you renew your rego and boat licence that money goes into a kitty to be spent on public boating facilities and boating education programs. We should never have been paying for ramp fees at all because the money was already sitting there
so what are they going to do with all the money they have been raking in on the guise of ramp fees?
do we get it back?
is this the 35 Million or so that they are talking about in giving back to the public?
i dont understand how they got away with it for so long if it was already in the legislation..

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 pm

cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Cobby you lost me mate
Exactly agree with you there.
Thanks for simplifying it

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:59 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:47 pm
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Cobby you lost me mate
so what are they going to do with all the money they have been raking in on the guise of ramp fees?
do we get it back?
is this the 35 Million or so that they are talking about in giving back to the public?
i dont understand how they got away with it for so long if it was already in the legislation..
If they d9nt get caught they d9nt care lol

cobby

Post by cobby » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:01 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:47 pm
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Cobby you lost me mate
do we get it back?
Get it back? What dreamworld is this? Over $600,000 a year recieved, average of only $115,000 a year spent for just 1 council over 5 years. The remainder has been spent on junkets and anything but the boat ramps. They got away with it until BIAV finally gained some prominence with the ramp rage campaign that also highlighted the millions f dollars from regos and licences funneled through Vicroads under the guise of administrative costs... The only thing we get back is the money we once spent on launching fees

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”