Gippsland Lakes Commercial Netting Ban Another Step Closer

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:09 pm

Media contact: Emma Webster 0428 171 119 | transportmedia@minstaff.vic.gov.au
Tuesday, 27 August 2019

GIPPSLAND LAKES COMMERCIAL NETTING BAN ANOTHER STEP CLOSER

Commercial netting in the Gippsland Lakes is another step closer to being banned, with the Andrews Labor Government introducing legislation today that will boost tourism, create jobs and protect the unique lake system.
The Marine and Fisheries Legislation Amendment Bill 2019 will phase out the 10 remaining Gippsland Lakes Fishing Access Licences over two years. The first opportunity for industry to exit will be 1 April next year, with all affected licences phased out by 1 April 2021.
The ban will return the Gippsland Lakes to recreational fishers, creating better fishing opportunities and a boost for local tourism and regional jobs.
It will help rebuild fish stocks and increase catch rates for recreational fishers and delivers on a key commitment of the Labor Government’s $35 million Target One Million Phase Two plan, which aims to get more people fishing, more often in more places.
Gippsland Lakes Fishing Access Licence holders will be fairly compensated for the cancellation of their licence, with compensation to be consistent with that provided under the Port Phillip Bay buy-out.
Commercial bait, eel and mussel fishing will not be impacted and will continue to be permitted in the Gippsland Lakes.
Victorian and federal offshore fisheries that use the Lakes as a port will also remain unaffected, ensuring that prawns and other species sold into the food market will be available to consumers.
Quotes attributable to Fishing and Boating Minister Jaala Pulford
“We’re delivering what we promised, making the Gippsland Lakes better than ever for recreational fishers and local tourism operators.”
“This legislation will provide certainty for affected licence holders and we will continue to work through this transition with them.”
Quote attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Jane Garrett
“We’re listening to the East Gippsland community – removing the nets, phasing out commercial licences and handing the lakes back to recreational fishers.”

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Gippsland Lakes Commercial Netting Ban Another Step Closer

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:15 am

Oh please **** off with the political spiel bull.

Sometimes I pity you having to copy and paste some of the absolute tripe that's released in pressers Jon

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm

cobby wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:15 am

Oh please **** off with the political spiel b*******.
Cobby, I come from SA where MOST of the spiel is AGAINST the Recreational Fisho , , , , so any (which rarely happened) that favoured us we greeted.

But what I can see there in Vic, is the "over" pampering of the Recreational Fisho.

For us, banning Commercial Netting here in SA would very rarely happen , , , , the Fishing here is that bad (even short of collapse in some Fisheries) so we would take any morsel that they do.

Balance is the key. Your "recreational" economy seems thriving , , , , bait in Servos, here in SA is almost unheard of.

So, a question: in Vic once the rec economy is "saturated" (which it seems to be) is that to the detriment of a possible (maybe missunderstood) sustainable commercial industry?

Also, as a kicker , , , , Governments monitor Social Media (like this Forum) and unfortunately , , , , it's to see if their spiel/spin is working , , , , a case of waving a shiny thing in front of ill informed, hence spiel worked and the masses agree with the missguided policy.

And further, unfortunately, there is not enough informed who speak out or "unite the troops" to cause change , , , , in SA , , , , a lot of arm chair experts who talk and do nothing to facilitate action or change.

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:14 pm

cobby wrote:

Sometimes I pity you having to copy and paste some of the absolute tripe that's released in pressers Jon
Cobby, I don't pity Jon (well not for that), I have empathy for him. This is a Fishing Forum, so yes, publicise media releases. I think it's a pity, though that an engaging conversation with sensible contributors to properly discuss these media releases to defunk those that are tripe and talk/chat about the real issues rather than the spiel and clouded propaganda that Governments put out. That is a pity.

What I do pity Jon for, is for allowing the hyjaking of this forum by some of it's members, not trolls or spammers, but by some of our so called members, who prefer to talk about sucking on balls and poking at each other like childish delinquents. These members even back each other up when confronted, so much so, that Son would flank Father, and Father flanks Son on these "attacks".

So Cobby, I pity Jon for having to deal with the bunch of flankers that have a dominating influence on this Site.

Cheers, The Bug

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:14 pm
cobby wrote:

Cobby, I don't pity Jon (well not for that), I have empathy for him. This is a Fishing Forum, so yes, publicise media releases. I think it's a pity, though that an engaging conversation with sensible contributors to properly discuss these media releases to defunk those that are tripe and talk/chat about the real issues rather than the spiel and clouded propaganda that Governments put out. That is a pity.

What I do pity Jon for, is for allowing the hyjaking of this forum by some of it's members, not trolls or spammers, but by some of our so called members, who prefer to talk about sucking on balls and poking at each other like childish delinquents. These members even back each other up when confronted, so much so, that Son would flank Father, and Father flanks Son on these "attacks".

So Cobby, I pity Jon for having to deal with the bunch of flankers that have a dominating influence on this Site.

Cheers, The Bug
Bit grumpy today mate...no poems or clip art? :banana:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:14 pm
cobby wrote:

Cheers, The Bug
I pity the fool

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm

This Thread may provide some info on why Mr Cobb said what he said.

viewtopic.php?f=204&t=21488&hilit=GIPPS ... S&start=30

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 pm

This is the one. It's the biggest load of **** to spew out anywhere since a truckload was dumped onto the steps of Richmond Football Clubs offices. As big a joke as heritage listing the Eastern ******* traffic jam that masquerades as a freeway.
The ban will return the Gippsland Lakes to recreational fishers, creating better fishing opportunities and a boost for local tourism and regional jobs.
It will help rebuild fish stocks and increase catch rates for recreational fishers

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Copy pasting for fyi purpose only:

Legislation to end commercial netting of fin fish in the Gippsland Lakes passed it's second reading yesterday. As there has been some discussion on social media about the fairness of the compensation offer we thought some of you might be interested in the formula in the legislation. The licence is valued at $371,000 + $60,000 for fishing equipment + 3 times the VALUE of the average catch over 5 years prior to March 2017. Therefore if the average value was $75,000 a payout of $656,000 would result. This would reduce by 20% if the licence is not surrendered by 1st April 2021 when all 10 Fisheries Access Licences will be cancelled.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ango

Post by ango » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi All,
This is excellent news, who would have thought, politicians actually delivering on their promises? The buyout seems to be extremely generous in its compensation. Now we can all look forwards to the Gippsland Lakes fishing going from strength to strength over the next few years.
Cheers
Ango.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”