Media release: Gippsland bass stocking

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Media release: Gippsland bass stocking

Post by fishingvic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 am

Thursday December 5, 2013

Bass stocks increased in local waterways

Bass-StockingMember for Gippsland East, Tim Bull, on a recent trip to Ramrod Creek, releasing Bass fingerlings into the Tambo River to improve recreational fishing opportunities.

Fisheries Victoria recently released 82,000 Australian bass into nine Gippsland waters to further improve recreational fishing opportunities in the region.

Member for Gippsland East, Tim Bull, said releases of bass in previous years were starting to deliver for anglers, and this latest stocking would further boost local fishing opportunities.

“Australian bass are a popular sportfish, highly regarded by freshwater anglers,” Mr Bull said.

“Fisheries Victoria has now stocked more than 400,000 bass into Gippsland since 2002 and this investment is paying off with legal size bass of 27 centimetres becoming increasingly common.

“The Victorian Coalition Government is committed to improving recreational fishing opportunities across the state and maintaining Gippsland’s status as a quality fishing destination.

“We are spending $16 million through the Recreational Fishing Initiative to not only stock fish but also improve access and facilities, upgrade boat launching facilities, build new fishing reefs, undertake more fisheries research and strengthen fisheries enforcement and education.

“On top of this the Recreational Fishing Grants Program invests licence fees straight back into local projects that improve angling opportunities across the state.”

The bass fingerlings, averaging 2-3cm each, were released into:

Blue Rock Lake – 25,000
Lake Glenmaggie – 10,000
Mitchell River– 10,000
Tambo River – 10,000
Nicholson River – 10,000
Narracan Lake – 10,000
Avon River – 3,000
Cowwarr Weir – 2,000
Macalister River, downstream of Lake Glenmaggie – 2,000

Mr Bull said Lake Glenmaggie in particular was gaining momentum with anglers enjoying success from the shore using worms.

“One local man and his father landed five bass between 25 and 28cm in one session at Lake Glenmaggie during September. He was so happy about it he rang Fisheries to report his success,” Mr Bull said.

For more information about fish stocking visit http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fisheries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Milk man

Re: Media release: Gippsland bass stocking

Post by Milk man » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:12 am

Good to see. I'm gunna hit blue rock one or twice over my holidays I reckon. I've been meaning to go for a fish there for a long time lol
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 am

i almost wish they didnt tell people where they stock the fish
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:54 pm

biggar wrote:i almost wish they didnt tell people where they stock the fish
Yep. Considering one of the main reasons we need to stock Bass is because of 100+ years of monumentally screwing up natural water courses preventing the majority of natural recruitment and eradicating most of their natural environment. Just drive over the Avon at Stratford and the Tambo at Bruthen and you'll get the full picture very quick.

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Blue Rock has a capacity of 208,000 Megalitres, not always full though. With Bass being stocked at a maximum basis around 100 fish per 1 Megalitre of water, 25,000 Bass isn't really that much for a lake that size; that stock is around the average for a 250 Megalitre dam or lake.

Sure, there is other fish in there also (although the lake hasn't gained the name "Lake Disappointment " for nothing !), and the room and food source has to go around for all the fish, but it could of gone a few more imo.

Still , better than nothing I suppose , even though some of these fingerlings will get eaten by other fish or birds.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”