Cleeland Bight 30/9

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Cleeland Bight 30/9

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:39 am

mazman wrote: What sort of distances get covered on the kingy trips down there? From what i understand they are usually found pretty close to shore around portland, I'm just wondering roughly how many ks you guys cover looking for them. Not sure if i'm in for the comp weekend but certainly interested in a few offshore forays this summer.

Cheers Alex
your right however pelagic fish don't always play how you think - last season Mav caught a small king about 5 km out from the launch and really not must else happened the next day LOBO pulled both Tuna and kings ( the bastard ) after we had gone home to work

and around the same time Lobo pulled a couple of kings right inside on the squid grounds so you never know

one thing about this launch theres no surf to contend with and it's a lot warmer than chasing tuna over the cooler months
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:04 pm

mazman wrote:Good to see you catching squid again Ian.
cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:
I'd like to go on the Portland trip, my paddle fitness needs A LOT of work though
day light saving next week so you know what to do -- paddle - paddle - paddle --- you can only get match fitness one way

I must say it was good fishing there last year even though I didn't get amongst the fish - you got good salmon from memory
What sort of distances get covered on the kingy trips down there? From what i understand they are usually found pretty close to shore around portland, I'm just wondering roughly how many ks you guys cover looking for them. Not sure if i'm in for the comp weekend but certainly interested in a few offshore forays this summer.

Cheers Alex
I did about 18km looking for the little ***** last time, a few blokes did even more. I imagine if they're up and about you wouldn't need to paddle as far to find them
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:17 pm

4liters wrote: I did about 18km looking for the little ***** last time, a few blokes did even more. I imagine if they're up and about you wouldn't need to paddle as far to find them
I guessing you would be right but then thats no more than some fishing trips on the bay

most of the time you troll something if live bait that's a leisurely paddle HBs or SPs a bit more active or take a micro jigging rod and bounce some jigs for a rest break
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Good stuff. I saw you pulling out of the Woolamai Road as I came back from Berry Beach - I waved, but you looked like you were concentrating on the traffic!

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Phillip Island”