Cleeland Bight 30/9

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Cleeland Bight 30/9

Post by 4liters » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Hit up Cleeland Bight today for some big squid, as I arrived an awesome sunrise was taking place

The squid were playing hard to get but eventually the incoming tide bought in some clean water and I snagged 6 of them, the biggest going about 35cm

I figured 6 squid was enough for a grand final lunch so I headed out wider hoping to jig up some flathead. On the way out I picked up a couta on a trolled hardbody

Ended up with one micro flattie for my trouble and was starting to feel a bit seasick in 1.5m of swell so I headed back in. I tried briefly for some more squid but with the tide running out, the water murky and my good jig somewhere on the bottom I didn't stick around for long

That'll be the last fishing I do until after the 18th of Oct as my exams are coming up - all being well this will be the end of my masters and I'll be back out in the real world *shudders*
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Cleeland Bight 30/9

Post by seephil » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Nice pics. A good bag a squid there mate. Good luck for your exams.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:23 pm

weather looks great...nice fish man
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Nice report mate :thumbsup:

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:58 pm

very nice
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:01 am

Well done, nice pics and a good catch of squid, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:52 am

good going Ian -- a much more productive day than mine - both Mal and myself headed out from Grantville looking for red fish none came our way in fact it with slow going all round

mal pulled a 99 cm gummy on the last rod in the water as we were packing up to catch the tide - I did get a few Salmon for bait but came home empty handed

are you heading to portland in Jan for the off shore comp https://seasherpa.com.au/blog/ should be good fun
I've got my entry in allready just have to arrange my camping

I have to also catch up with Eoin for a test drive on some shiney new glass - he now has a profisha 525 in stock , an old bloke like me needs something easier to paddle on those big off shore days
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:03 am

cheaterparts wrote:good going Ian -- a much more productive day than mine - both Mal and myself headed out from Grantville looking for red fish none came our way in fact it with slow going all round

mal pulled a 99 cm gummy on the last rod in the water as we were packing up to catch the tide - I did get a few Salmon for bait but came home empty handed

are you heading to portland in Jan for the off shore comp https://seasherpa.com.au/blog/ should be good fun
I've got my entry in allready just have to arrange my camping

I have to also catch up with Eoin for a test drive on some shiney new glass - he now has a profisha 525 in stock , an old bloke like me needs something easier to paddle on those big off shore days
I didn't even bother trying for snapper, I figured with the barometer so low it'd be a waste of time. A gummy would've been nice but I didn't stick around outside for long enough to be in with a decent shot at one

I'd like to go on the Portland trip, my paddle fitness needs A LOT of work though
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:18 am

4liters wrote:
I'd like to go on the Portland trip, my paddle fitness needs A LOT of work though
day light saving next week so you know what to do -- paddle - paddle - paddle --- you can only get match fitness one way

I must say it was good fishing there last year even though I didn't get amongst the fish - you got good salmon from memory
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 am

Good to see you catching squid again Ian.
cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:
day light saving next week so you know what to do -- paddle - paddle - paddle --- you can only get match fitness one way

I must say it was good fishing there last year even though I didn't get amongst the fish - you got good salmon from memory
What sort of distances get covered on the kingy trips down there? From what i understand they are usually found pretty close to shore around portland, I'm just wondering roughly how many ks you guys cover looking for them. Not sure if i'm in for the comp weekend but certainly interested in a few offshore forays this summer.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Phillip Island”