Newhaven jetty during day

Kosta7

Re: Newhaven jetty during day

Post by Kosta7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 am

Hammy Y wrote:
Kosta7 wrote:I spent the weekend at San Remo/Phillip Island. San Remo is a great little spot but you only have an 1hr-1 1/2hrs during tide changes. Caught a nice little pinky there and had constant bites. This morning I had something big biting and doing a massive run before my line snapped.
Newhaven gives you a bigger window before tide becomes unfishable.
Spent a few hours last night at Cowes. It gets really crowded especially on the weekends. Only caught one squid but some people did really well. Lots of yakkas there. Fish the start of the pier for squid/yakkas. If you get lucky and get a spot at the end, try the right side as middle/left is very snaggy (lost about 7 rigs...)
Good luck
What's your method for catching Yakkas? I've always wanted to catch some for snapper and gummy bait when I'm out on the boat but have no clue how.

Cheers
People were using Sabiki rigs and soft plastics with very small jig heads. Haven't targeted them so I am not sure what is the exact technique.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Newhaven jetty during day

Post by smile0784 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 am

Straya wrote:Damn, tide will have / be changing right now as low tide was about 9am. Any productivity dumping a heavy sinker with some squid off the end of the jetty? Or pilchard heads even?

I love using heavy jig heads and soft plastics but i'm guessing that won't have much success off the jetty or beach?

I'd love to hire a boat but i'm not the most experienced boater so i wouldn't risk it by myself. But good to know you can hire them there for when i come down with my old man
Yep tide runs fast. Need to fish tide change

Return to “Phillip Island”