Mixed bag out im wp and seal rock

skifalls
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Mixed bag out im wp and seal rock

Post by skifalls » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 am

cantcatchem wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
skifalls wrote:I know how you feel, we had 30 flathead to clean from Flinders Bank, failed with the Kings today very frustrating, could mark them up but zip. Great day to be on the water though
Just wondering what depth were.you in?
We.drofted.from 30 to 45mt
I think your problem was that you "drofted", next time try drifting :thumbsup:
We were in 40mtrs, PIta when you get a done hookup brining it up.

Secret was burley pot in the ground, as soon as we did this the size increased and catch rate increased

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 am

skifalls wrote:
cantcatchem wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
skifalls wrote:I know how you feel, we had 30 flathead to clean from Flinders Bank, failed with the Kings today very frustrating, could mark them up but zip. Great day to be on the water though
Just wondering what depth were.you in?
We.drofted.from 30 to 45mt
I think your problem was that you "drofted", next time try drifting :thumbsup:
We were in 40mtrs, PIta when you get a done hookup brining it up.

Secret was burley pot in the ground, as soon as we did this the size increased and catch rate increased
Ok cool thanks will try that next time

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 am

purple5ive wrote:Was the same with australian salmon with many saying they are sh*t to eat. Dad wanted to try some so i took few home one day. Now he constantly asks for them hahaha.
I guess it's all in the way its prepared.
Lets see how these wrasse taste.
I love my salmon lol.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am

4liters wrote:
Brett wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Was the same with australian salmon with many saying they are sh*t to eat. Dad wanted to try some so i took few home one day. Now he constantly asks for them hahaha.

Wrasse are fine if cooked right. There used to be a big market for live wrasse in Sydney(not sure if there still is) Fish used to be caught at the prom and sent up in large tanks, to the restaurants. Then they'd put them in a display tank and you would pick the fish you want in the tank and they cook it.
Mostly Asian restaurants and it was mostly steamed, so the flesh stayed firm.
There's a bloke down here who uses crab traps to catch live wrasse. They're worth a fortune, and if I recall correctly he even has some flown to some overseas fish market.
Haha thats crazy for a fish that supposedly everyone is throwing back.
Anyway the only place ive consistently caught big ones are in bass strait. The smaller specimen ofcourse are always around most places. But the bigger boys are only available outside and they do have quite a bit of meat on them hence why i decided to take them home.
Lets see what they taste like.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

I’m very interested to hear what you say mate about the taste :P

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:34 am

purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote:
Brett wrote:

Wrasse are fine if cooked right. There used to be a big market for live wrasse in Sydney(not sure if there still is) Fish used to be caught at the prom and sent up in large tanks, to the restaurants. Then they'd put them in a display tank and you would pick the fish you want in the tank and they cook it.
There's a bloke down here who uses crab traps to catch live wrasse. They're worth a fortune, and if I recall correctly he even has some flown to some overseas fish market.
Anyway the only place ive consistently caught big ones are in bass strait. The smaller specimen ofcourse are always around most places. But the bigger boys are only available outside and they do have quite a bit of meat on them hence why i decided to take them home.
I caught some really big (50cm+) blue throats at the Wilson Spit and kept them. Despite doing everything right (bled and cleaned straight away, and straight on ice) they tasted really seaweedy and were mushy so they all go back now.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 am

Good catches. Any chance of an invite on next trip? :water:

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 pm

I have eaten a male bluethroat before which didn’t taste too bad. From memory I think the male blue throats taste different to the females, which is why I took the male.

I’d still take many more species before blue throat though

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Tim399 wrote:I have eaten a male bluethroat before which didn’t taste too bad. From memory I think the male blue throats taste different to the females, which is why I took the male.

I’d still take many more species before blue throat though
4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote:
Brett wrote:

I caught some really big (50cm+) blue throats at the Wilson Spit and kept them. Despite doing everything right (bled and cleaned straight away, and straight on ice) they tasted really seaweedy and were mushy so they all go back now.

Interesting.
Let you know what i think of them. Might do a few different styles of preparation and see how they go.

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Got to be happy with a day like that!

Ever thought they people started the rumour that the fish don't taste good just so people put them back and then they can catch them.

Return to “Phillip Island”