Mixed bag out im wp and seal rock

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Mixed bag out im wp and seal rock

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:48 pm

4liters wrote:How do you target sweep? I’ve heard they’re pretty tasty
Depends where and how you fish. I was bought up rock fishing since i was a young kid as my old man grew up in san remo.

On a boat you need to try get close to rocks where the foam areas are. Where the foam is on the surface the sweep congregate under it. Use and unweighted pille slither or pippie. Or use on a paternoster rig but leave it half way down in the water column. Usually a depth of between 20 and 25 ft.

The ideal time is on an incoming tide with a north wind but it can get hairy. Perfect conditions in that situation and sweep and even snotty trevally are plentiful.

Out going tides provide alot of swell and the swell can get big quick. Bringing you very close to the rock ledges. Unless you got someone driving the boat while you fish its not worth the risk..

Sweep and snotty trevally are 2 of my favourite eating fish out of any. Really solid clean and white.

Wouldnt do.it in a kayak though...

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:53 pm

purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Ive tried baking, barbecueing, steaming, deepfrying all sorts of wrasse.
They are all soft mushy and taste sh*t. Good fun in light gear but no point wasting your time on them if you want a feed of nice fish. My dog eats bluethroat and i keep them if I get the odd 1 or 2 for him.

When the strait is glass like that you are best off going further out until you hit the sandy areas to catch big flathead and heaps of arrow squid.

I have spoke to some asians and they love steamed wrasse in a special asian sauce they steam with water. Can only get it from asian green grocers.

Went to springvale market today and wrasse were 17 bux a kg... try asian cooking methods.

To me they are dog food.
We did try further out and only picked up small flathead.
When you catch wrasse and sgt baker out the front you are on reefy bottom. Those fish get in before pinkies 9 out of 10 times.

Straight out the front of flinders naval cannon/base in 100 ft of water there are big flathead, sand whiting, arrow squid and also large sand crab.
I use a crab pot and let out 110 ft of rope. Usually get enough crab to feed me my old man and 2 kids in 3 or 4 drops.
You will be able to tell on your sounder as soon as you hit the sandy areas. Also a chance for a gummy.
Caught my biggest gummies out there, but my old.man isnt as stable on his feet now so we dont go out there for long now.

Mainly just to check our cray pots that we leave in overnight
We might have just missed the sand patches. Most certainly were on reef as all we got were wrasses. And few pinkies. So next time might try bit further if we did go down that way.
Sand holes are on the inside of flinders. I only suggested that to learn how to spot sand on your sounder...

Out the front of flinders is mainly reef. Get the odd sand hole but hard to determine on your sounder.

Flinders isnt like kikcunda and woolamai where it gets sandy quickly. It takes alot further to get off the thick reef. Its worth it though.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:56 pm

purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Ive tried baking, barbecueing, steaming, deepfrying all sorts of wrasse.
They are all soft mushy and taste sh*t. Good fun in light gear but no point wasting your time on them if you want a feed of nice fish. My dog eats bluethroat and i keep them if I get the odd 1 or 2 for him.

When the strait is glass like that you are best off going further out until you hit the sandy areas to catch big flathead and heaps of arrow squid.

I have spoke to some asians and they love steamed wrasse in a special asian sauce they steam with water. Can only get it from asian green grocers.

Went to springvale market today and wrasse were 17 bux a kg... try asian cooking methods.

To me they are dog food.
When you catch wrasse and sgt baker out the front you are on reefy bottom. Those fish get in before pinkies 9 out of 10 times.

Straight out the front of flinders naval cannon/base in 100 ft of water there are big flathead, sand whiting, arrow squid and also large sand crab.
I use a crab pot and let out 110 ft of rope. Usually get enough crab to feed me my old man and 2 kids in 3 or 4 drops.
You will be able to tell on your sounder as soon as you hit the sandy areas. Also a chance for a gummy.
Caught my biggest gummies out there, but my old.man isnt as stable on his feet now so we dont go out there for long now.

We might have just missed the sand patches. Most certainly were on reef as all we got were wrasses. And few pinkies. So next time might try bit further if we did go down that way.
I think we missed the sand all together in that area.
Must have been where the guys were with birds were.

It took about a hr to get back flat stick. Great run back.
But i was surprised we didnt use all the fuel lol.
Only about 2/3 of a tank lol

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:03 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

To me they are dog food.

I think we missed the sand all together in that area.
Must have been where the guys were with birds were.

It took about a hr to get back flat stick. Great run back.
But i was surprised we didnt use all the fuel lol.
Only about 2/3 of a tank lol
Birds usually eat the salmon that are eating all the fish eggs on the surface at the moment. I lve never seen so many driftinh down the entrance as i have this year.

They dont care if they are on reef or sand. They eat whats on the surface.

Just try going over a sandy area. Even out front of cowes and learn where the sand meets the weed on you lr sounder screen. Then you can do the same in the deep in bass strait without visual confirmation

A 15 dollar crab net and 30 bux of rope soon pays for itself if you like eating crab out there as well

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm

How'd the bags of crap taste purple5 eat them get Lol?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm

I know the difference between reef and sand.
Its bloody obvious on the sounder.

I found the sand on my first stop and if you read.my original post i said i found small flathead so i moved.

These birds werent diving they were just sitting aroud.
So we noved to a reef so we could catch something and have fun.

I dont like crabs and so just await of.moey to buy extra crap i will never eat.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 pm

He wasn’t trying to be rude. Why so defensive? You seem really insecure about your fishing
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:35 pm

He said i coulnt find the sand and i should practice but if he read my post it said plain and simple that i found it first stop so there was no need to say it in the first place

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 pm

So just say you found the sand and there weren’t any good flatties do you decided to chase reefies??
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 pm

4liters wrote:He wasn’t trying to be rude. Why so defensive? You seem really insecure about your fishing
Im just sick of people not reading what is writting and then lieing and twisting things to make them selves sound better when its the same thing that was written in the original post

Return to “Phillip Island”