Ventnor report 13th Oct

Island-boy
Has liked: 14 times

Ventnor report 13th Oct

Post by Island-boy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Fished all day out Ventnor way mostly just aiming for whiting and calamari

Got x3 nice calamari biggest just under 40cm hood.

But apart from that only caught garbage fish all that went back, x5 Wrasse (two big males), one grass whiting all in about 3-4 metres

Oh and a good size gurnard out deeper in about 10 metres, i actually kept this one as have never tried them, not sure if its going to be worth the hassle though getting rid of spikes and then not much meat on them for the size.

I did spend some time around the slack water fishing the edge of shipping channel, but no luck just got bitten off by something maybe a couta.

It was a flip of the coin decision on whether to fish Ventnor or Rhyll but was keen on getting some squid for next week to chase snapper/gummys down Corinella after the new ramp opens.

But off course now im seeing some reports on facebook of some nice snapper caught off Rhyll
Last edited by Island-boy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Ventnor report 13th Oct

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 pm

FWIW I've heard grass whiting are good eating, but never bothered myself. Sounds like a decent little session on the squid though!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Some decent size squid there mate.
Nice work :tu:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm

My mate caught a 52 and 78cm snapper around rhyll - newhaven and he said there was a 90cm being cleaned at the ramp too...

Just to add a bit of salt into the wound haha

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm
My mate caught a 52 and 78cm snapper around rhyll - newhaven and he said there was a 90cm being cleaned at the ramp too...

Do you know the water depth caught in?

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:22 pm

BTW. its been a very long time since I've eaten grass whiting, but i do remember they didn't taste good nothing at all like KG's, but each to their own, i mean some people even eat wrasses.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:07 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Do you know the water depth caught in?
Nah couldn't tell ya. 6-8m at a guess.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:22 pm
BTW. its been a very long time since I've eaten grass whiting, but i do remember they didn't taste good nothing at all like KG's, but each to their own, i mean some people even eat wrasses.
grass whiting aren't the best for eating they are however good for baited squid jigs - squid like them
Island-boy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Oh and a good size gurnard out deeper in about 10 metres, i actually kept this one as have never tried them, not sure if its going to be worth the hassle though getting rid of spikes and then not much meat on them for the size.
I tend to take any of the spikey critters with a bit of size on them they aren't bad on the table -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 am

Not a proper report as got donuts, so will add here.

Went out off Rhyll on Wednesday wind forecast looked real good and just felt like a fishy day, but was only out for an hour or two and then the wind came up from the west was quite rough and looked like more rain was going to hit, so i went in.

Got home and then that night saw a few FB reports of some nice big snapper in the areas i was fishing and looked at wind history and wind dropped of soon after i came in.

Been feeling regretful all week wishing id stayed out.

Tuesday is looking good, i think I'm going to take a different approach this week too and just anchor up on good area of corals and burley up and not move all day fish through both tide changes and hopefully one will come to me, I've been getting too impatient and moving on quickly lately to other areas with a more defined bank/dropoff or structure.

Seems like the fish have moved into the coral area this week, but i always feel like i could be a better places when fishing there, it just feels like such a big playing field at the corals, no real structure, not that deep, feels like finding a needle in a haystack, but the area seems to produce fish and historically looking at past reports seems to start turning on this time of year.

Or maybe even to snapper marks just off coronet bay saw a guy got a nice one there too.

Expect both places you could fish all day and tidal flow not too strong.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:52 am

Island boy, I feel for you. The wind dropping when we get home has happened to most of as at some time and the "regret" and the "what if" creeps in.

I always think, better to be safe than to be sorry being caught out in bad weather. What has also happened to most of us at some time is that the weather takes an unexpected and unforcast turn for the worse.

Just a "call" a Sensible Captain makes, doesn't help with the regret but it does save the Sphincter from getting over excited or nervous.

Bugatti

Return to “Phillip Island”