Queenstown nz

skuxliss

Re: Queenstown nz

Post by skuxliss » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:42 am

Give the rivers a crack for salmon and trout mate. They're the best on fly fishing and can give you a good arm workout. Either way the locals would give you tips of where to go etc.

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 am

Just a quick report on the fishing yesterday.limited wifi.my mate was the only one to get a small rainbow.Fishing action was very quiet.
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:09 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
All freshwater anglers are only allowed to use artificial lures ,spinners, hardbody ,soft plastics and imitation flies etc.I've been told no Live bait is to be used.We were rigged up with a plastic bait on a Abu Garcia 6'6 " rod and a Omca reel.The plastic lure had been soaked in a liquid which became quite sticky on the fingers while clearing the bait of the Didymo Algae which found it's way into NZ waters.It's like a stingy wet piece of cotton wool and can be seen on the bottom of the stream in dark patches.The locals call it Snott.The Method used was to cast across the river upstream to the other side.Then wind your lure to the fast moving water.letting the lure rest on the bottom then let it get carried downstream giving the occasional flick to attract the fish
Attachments
image.jpg
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:51 pm

nice, a fair few of the guys at my work are from nz, freind seems to do well around karikari peninsula.

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am

Queenstown is set on the banks of Lake Wakatipu The lake is 84 kilometres in length .being from Kingston in the south to Glenorchy in the north.A magnificent stretch of water.It has a maximum depth of 300 metres.the water is so pure it can be drank without additives.the Lake has a swell of 5 cm from end to the other.This was explained to be like placing your foot in a bath of water.

Queenstown is a bustling tourist destination.They have been inundated with 100's of Chinese visitors for the Chinese New Year.There are many attractions here,water sports galore plus aerial activities.The airport is the busiest inNZ with light planes and helicopters doing a roaring trade site seeing.Unfortunately last week a helicopter crashed and killed 2.one being a 18 yr old trainee pilot.There are Restaurants everywhere and we dined down at the wharf quite often.My daughter said that I must try a Ferg burger a icon of Queenstown.Fair dinkum there is a 6 metres line 2 abreast waiting from Breakfast,lunch and dinner.I waited 1 hour last night for our Mr big burger but it was well worth it.They have beer on tap so you don't die of thirst waiting.He also owns the Bakery next door if you get hungry and need a snack.Farming is also a large part of the Otago area and we seen a lot of it on our way to Milford Sound a 600k round trip.Sheep ,cattle and dairy with Venison ( red deer) keep the economy ticking along.

Last edited by malleestump on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:44 am

Some great looking spots Gus!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “The Rest of the World”