Land based fishing allowed in Fiji?

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Land based fishing allowed in Fiji?

Post by intercooledpc2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi all!

Not sure if this forum is restricted to information for Victoria as the name would suggest, but this seems like a really helpful community so thought I'd ask.

I'm planning to take my family to Fiji for a holiday both on the mainland and some of the smaller islands.
I would like to know if there is any issues/laws that do not permit fishing from the beach? I was reading that tribal law suggests you must always ask for locals permission first.
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience fishing there before? I am not interested in fishing from a charter boat, i just wanted to flick some plastics around while the family swims.
Obviously i want to do the right thing, but do not want to end up in jail or being cursed by locals! (which i hear are pretty friendly anyway)

Thanks
Dave

Misheen

Re: Land based fishing allowed in Fiji?

Post by Misheen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Around some of the resorts you can't fish( eg plantation island) just take a stroll away from the resorts and plug away. Or better still take a charter

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok, thanks for that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mcmonier

Post by mcmonier » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 am

I fished a few beaches in Asia.
Gave what I caught to the locals and was good to go!

Toisouljar

Post by Toisouljar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:18 am

Hey mate I have not fished there, but am planning to head there for my wedding. My uncle is married to a Fijian and she says there are scuba diving areas you can't fish and you have to get permission from the locals, also nothing goes back cause its so under fished locals want anything you don't want. But my conclusion would be take a charter the dollar is so cheap you might as well.

P.s go around June or July its there slow season tickets should be like 500 return.

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 am

Toisouljar wrote:Hey mate I have not fished there, but am planning to head there for my wedding. My uncle is married to a Fijian and she says there are scuba diving areas you can't fish and you have to get permission from the locals, also nothing goes back cause its so under fished locals want anything you don't want. But my conclusion would be take a charter the dollar is so cheap you might as well.

P.s go around June or July its there slow season tickets should be like 500 return.
Thanks Toisouljar. Looks like a pretty sweet place to have your wedding - all the best for that :)

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 pm

intercooledpc2 wrote:
Toisouljar wrote:Hey mate I have not fished there, but am planning to head there for my wedding. My uncle is married to a Fijian and she says there are scuba diving areas you can't fish and you have to get permission from the locals, also nothing goes back cause its so under fished locals want anything you don't want. But my conclusion would be take a charter the dollar is so cheap you might as well.

Thanks Toisouljar. Looks like a pretty sweet place to have your wedding - all the best for that :)
I had my honeymoon there, and saw 2 weddings at the resort we were staying at. Beautiful place to get married that's for sure.

Return to “The Rest of the World”