Kayak spot for beginners

Nick tucker

Kayak spot for beginners

Post by Nick tucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Recently bought a kayak and not sure were to go? Wouldt mind going after some salmon, and how would you recomend going after them cheers!!

rixter

Re: Kayak spot for beginners

Post by rixter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:53 pm

If your new to Kayaking, I'de recommend to take it to a lake in the shallows first. Know what the limits of your Kayak and yourself are capable of.
Salmon being a saltwater fish, Kayak with sea currents , probably not a good idea for a beginner ( if you are ).

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

CrazyChenski

Kayak spot for beginners

Post by CrazyChenski » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm

What kayak did you get ? And where are you located? Do you have all of the necessary (or those statutory required) safety gear ?

Regardless it is lake, river, PPB or WP ... Choose a good weather day with minimal wind to test your confidence before you gear up all of other fishing equipment.

You might want to join vyak forum, where you can get lots of information and guidance from other kayak fisho...

Remember one thing. If in doubt, don't go out

Nick tucker

Post by Nick tucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:46 pm

CrazyChenski wrote:What kayak did you get ? And where are you located? Do you have all of the necessary (or those statutory required) safety gear ?

Regardless it is lake, river, PPB or WP ... Choose a good weather day with minimal wind to test your confidence before you gear up all of other fishing equipment.

You might want to join vyak forum, where you can get lots of information and guidance from other kayak fisho...

Hi mate got a fishing kayak off eBay length is 283cm I've been out to Murray, eildon, lake tyres in it, I've got all the p.p.e just wanted to know we're was good as I'm fairly new to salt cheers for the advice mate

vckooler

Post by vckooler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Welcome to the kayak fishing. Not 100% sure about salmon but if your confident enough then you may try the inlet area of pattersons lakes. about 4-6m of water.

Might b launching from patto or black rock Friday morning depending on conditions and what time i wake up.

''You might want to join vyak forum, where you can get lots of information and guidance from other kayak fisho...''

And I def 2nd that. great advice from knowledgeable people.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Nick tucker wrote:Recently bought a kayak and not sure were to go? Wouldt mind going after some salmon,
CrazyChenski wrote:Choose a good weather day with minimal wind to test your confidence before you gear up all of other fishing equipment.

Nick tucker wrote:I got a fishing kayak off eBay length is 283cm I've been out to Murray, eildon, lake tyres in it, I've got all the p.p.e just wanted to know we're was good as I'm fairly new to salt cheers for the advice mate
by the look of it you are a fair distance from ether bay - your short yak is not suited to open water unless the conditions are mint keep that in mind
if you do have to paddle any distance it will be hard work

as its already been said Vyak and even if you only jump on and read through the safety section , you dont need to sign up or log on to read this section
but there is a lot of usefull info there and safety is the first thing anyone would wont to get right

as for where to fish as a noob if you were to fish Westernport I would say try coronet bay or near reef island
both have little tide flows - I dont know how you would go on salmon though I dont fish for them only for bait

as for PPB I cant help you a lot maybe safety beach or Mt Matha again I dont fish PPB a lot and normaly head out a bit wider if I do which is more suited to a 4 meter long kayak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Nick tucker wrote:Recently bought a kayak and not sure were to go? Wouldt mind going after some salmon, and how would you recomend going after them cheers!!
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cannot suggest strongly enough, visit the VYAK website.

Nick tucker

Post by Nick tucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Nick tucker wrote:Recently bought a kayak and not sure were to go? Wouldt mind going after some salmon,
CrazyChenski wrote:Choose a good weather day with minimal wind to test your confidence before you gear up all of other fishing equipment.

Nick tucker wrote:I got a fishing kayak off eBay length is 283cm I've been out to Murray, eildon, lake tyres in it, I've got all the p.p.e just wanted to know we're was good as I'm fairly new to salt cheers for the advice mate
by the look of it you are a fair distance from ether bay - your short yak is not suited to open water unless the conditions are mint keep that in mind
if you do have to paddle any distance it will be hard work

as its already been said Vyak and even if you only jump on and read through the safety section , you dont need to sign up or log on to read this section
but there is a lot of usefull info there and safety is the first thing anyone would wont to get right

as for where to fish as a noob if you were to fish Westernport I would say try coronet bay or near reef island
both have little tide flows - I dont know how you would go on salmon though I dont fish for them only for bait

as for PPB I cant help you a lot maybe safety beach or Mt Matha again I dont fish PPB a lot and normaly head out a bit wider if I do which is more suited to a 4 meter long kayak
Thanks cheater really helpfull! Yeah I'm right out in the sticks. But dont Mind the drive. By the sounds of it i think il be limited by my short yak,myt spend me weekend looking at new yaks, did you get ya kingfisher from a shop? Cheers pal

berazafi

Post by berazafi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 pm

I would try the left hand side (NW) of mordi peir, on a calm day. Although nothing in a yak is safe being there will make sure there are lots of people around and you are no more than 100ish meters from shore. Lots of salmon, squid and pinkies can be found there, sunrise/sunset your best chance of success.

Nick tucker

Post by Nick tucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 pm

berazafi wrote:I would try the left hand side (NW) of mordi peir, on a calm day. Although nothing in a yak is safe being there will make sure there are lots of people around and you are no more than 100ish meters from shore. Lots of salmon, squid and pinkies can be found there, sunrise/sunset your best chance of success.
Thanks mate il give it a crack cheers!!

Return to “The Rest of the World”