Question to VRFISH - capacity of launching facilities in VIC

News and Information from VRFish
snapper hunter

Question to VRFISH - capacity of launching facilities in VIC

Post by snapper hunter » Sat May 23, 2015 5:37 am

What are VRFISH doing to resolve the problem of ramp overcrowding on the lead up to snapper season?

Are VRFISH aware boaters wait up to 2 to 3 hours to put boats on trailers during peak times?

Are VRFISH aware that some of the existing harbors are not large enough to accomodate the recreational fleet when weather conditions become dangerous?

Flathead37

Re: Question to VRFISH - capacity of launching facilities in

Post by Flathead37 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:05 am

Great question , the VIC government wants 1 million more REC fishos , so that means 10,000? or more boats wanting to use the already crowded ramps. Soon you will have to make a booking just to put the boat in.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat May 23, 2015 11:24 am

It's actually 'only' 300000 or so more fishos, the aim is for 1 million in total.

The biggest issue imo is a lack of space on piers (being land based it's difficult to find too much sympathy for people with boats lol).
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 23, 2015 11:30 am

Simple, get out earlier and come in before lunch or launch around 5 and come in after dark. PPB is near a ghost town before 4am and ramps are fairly quiet after 5pm.

That's the only solution you'll get as getting more ramps, car parks or safe harbours is like trying to get blood out of a stone

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat May 23, 2015 11:37 am

cobby wrote:Simple, get out earlier and come in before lunch or launch around 5 and come in after dark. PPB is near a ghost town before 4am and ramps are fairly quiet after 5pm.

That's the only solution you'll get as getting more ramps, car parks or safe harbours is like trying to get blood out of a stone
Nota at altona in peak season, its never a ghost town imo

Would help if they would hurry up fix existing ramps like north rd n black rock.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 am

Attention:
Regional Coastal Plans
PO Box 500
East Melbourne VIC 3002
Email: yoursay.coastalplan@depi.vic.gov.au
Dear Sir
Regional Coastal Plans 2014 - Western Coastal, Central Coastal and Gippsland Coastal Boards
I am writing on behalf of VRFish, the peak body representing 720, 000 recreational fishers in Victoria.
Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the regional coastal planning process in Victoria. We
fully support the need for an integrated plan that incorporates and provides for continued
sustainable growth in recreational fishing across Victoria.
Recreational fishing makes an enormous social and economic contribution to the State, including
regional areas from Portland to Mallacoota. The economic contribution of recreational fishing in
Victoria has been estimated at $2.3i
billion in activity direct expenditure. Recreational fishing offers
a range of mental, physical and social benefits for the broader community.
Recreational fishing is managed by a suite of controls, including catch, gear, area, seasonal and
minimum size limits. These controls are constantly reviewed and adjusted in real time by Fisheries
Victoria, in consultation with key stakeholders, consistent with adaptive management principles.
Victoria’s coastal fisheries are in excellent condition as a result of this management – with healthy
stocks of snapper, calamari, King George whiting, gummy shark, kingfish, albacore, sweep, tailor,
black bream and dusky flathead.
Regrettably, boat launching facilities across Victoria are currently unable to cope with peak demand.
Additional spending on boat launching facilities needs to significantly increase to address this
problem. The economic and social return on this investment to the State will be considerable.
The lack of natural harbours in Victoria means that we have far fewer ocean access points than
neighboring States. This means that large areas of coastal waters are unable to be effectively
accessed by recreational fishers. VRFish strongly supports improved ocean access for the full range
of species in these waters. This will involve new and improved facilities like Bastion Point in strategic
locations on the Victorian coastline. Other open ocean access improvements and new facilities are
needed at places such as Frankston, Cape Conran, Warrnambool, Torquay, St. Leonards and the
National Water Sports Centre Bangholme.
Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this important matter. We look forward to continued
involvement and engagement as the planning process is implementedPlease feel free to contact me on (03) 9686 7077 should you require any further information from
VRFish in relation to this matter.
Yours sincerely
Dallas D’Silva
Executive Officer
Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak Body
24 March 2014

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 23, 2015 4:44 pm

cobby wrote:Simple, get out earlier and come in before lunch or launch around 5 and come in after dark. PPB is near a ghost town before 4am and ramps are fairly quiet after 5pm.

4am in peak season is a 2hr wait to launch at patto and long waits no matter what time you want to come in.

We need another 5 ramps on PPB and 3 on WP.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat May 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I launched last tea tree saturday at 3am at mordi, could launch whenever we liked. We bagged out by 7:30, came back in to see an utter nightmare, turned around and chased squid for the next few hours until it cleared up haha

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 23, 2015 5:19 pm

frozenpod wrote:

4am in peak season is a 2hr wait to launch at patto and long waits no matter what time you want to come in.

We need another 5 ramps on PPB and 3 on WP.
I did say before 4. In all the times I've launched at Patto it's been no more than 10 minutes from rocking up to boat in water. Always before 4. And getting back in has been even quicker around 10-11. Either people are more retarded now than 4 years ago or are like sheep.

I'd say a mix as when I do fish the area I'll drop the kayak in with 5-10 boats already out and 1 launching at 2.30-3. It takes roughly 30/45 minutes to get out wide, in that time I get passed by no more than 5 boats. Once out there I get another 30 minutes max of peace sounding around before every knob comes out to busy watching GPS and sounder almost cleaning up other boats. You watch a rush of boats around 9-10 and it slows to a small trickle afterwards until 1-5. So maybe they are retarded sheep as boat ramps at peak times are a few hours ******* hilarious action to watch with a couple of cans.

My experiences are with Mornington peninsula and Patto ramps so might be different at Altona

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:42 pm

About the only hold up at ramps in these parts we have is if you turn up & someone's bogged on the "ramp".

Return to “VRFish (Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak-Body)”