cleaning fish at carrum..

News and Information from VRFish
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: cleaning fish at carrum..

Post by Basti » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:11 am

You should be fine if you keep the frames of the fish you fillet. Just my opinion. Dunno if the rules say otherwise

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:26 pm

I try to gut my fish as i catch them and then finish cleaning them at the ramp. However i havent finished fitting out the new tinny with a good cutting board yet so i havent done that recently. Cleaning at home is an absolute last resort, in which case i pull out a folding table and do it in the back yard.

Regarding cleaning fish in saltwater.. i am of the opinion that its great if you can do it, but it isnt a problem if you cant. I am a chef and have worked in many different venues and i am yet to find anywhere that cleans their fish in salt water.. in fact it comes packed in ice, made from fresh water.

How you prepare the fish (bleeding, icing, removing the bloodline etc) is a much bigger factor than what water your clean it with IMO. Just dont leave your fish sitting in fresh water for hours on end.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:05 pm

I kill and gut fish as I catch them. They go straight in an esky that has a 10kg block of ice in it. 10 litre container I keep in the freezer. I usually add a small amount of salt water into the esky. I take them home still in the esky. At home I have a cleaning table. I make up brine from cold water I keep in the fridge. I use this to wash the fillets. The frames I put in the freezer and take back out with me next trip. I just dump the frames over the side frozen when I am anchored up on my spot.
If I keep fillets in the fridge for a day till cooking I have them in a container, in the fridge, with a small amount of brine. If I am freezing them they go straight in as soon as I have washed them in a zip bag laid flat. I am very fussy about my fish.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Basti wrote:You should be fine if you keep the frames of the fish you fillet. Just my opinion. Dunno if the rules say otherwise
I rang fisheries on this subject as keeping gummies on my kayak a couple of years ago was a problem with a small esky - I was going to just land on the beach clean the fish which would then fit in the esky and keep the back bone and head

but that was against the rules -- you can't even land a fish on a beach and clean it ( fillet it ) and then return with it in an esky to the water

if you ring fisheries you will find that keeping the frames makes no difference the fish must be landed whole and as a land based fisho - landed means at the end of your trip you can not fillet your fish and keep it with you while you are still fishing - something else I asked

however you can clean your fish and put it in an esky away from where your fishing - I was told it was ok to land and clean your fish and put it in the car in an esky and then return to the water to keep fishing if that makes sense
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:21 am

You can always clean the fish at home and put all the scraps in a plastic bag and drop it off in the local street bins??

Not that i do that...........................but just a suggestion

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 am

It is for these reasons I started brain spike, gutting, scaling, then on ice snapper and cooking them whole. (They are better when cooked whole so it was a win)

For other species it is more of a problem. No issues with the regs but the lack of usable facilities is.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:08 am

matt1991 wrote:You can always clean the fish at home and put all the scraps in a plastic bag and drop it off in the local street bins??

Not that i do that...........................but just a suggestion
Haha I have done that a few times in the past.

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:04 am

i fillet the fish at home and bury the carcass in the garden the veggies and herbs love it

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:13 am

cahoona wrote:i fillet the fish at home and bury the carcass in the garden the veggies and herbs love it
Thats a great idea...does it smell much?..good way to get kids to grow veggies
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:26 am

chris seafarer wrote:
cahoona wrote:i fillet the fish at home and bury the carcass in the garden the veggies and herbs love it
Thats a great idea...does it smell much?..good way to get kids to grow veggies
Nah. Mum loves it when I clean fish at their place for that reason. Plus they usually get a couple of fillets if I have enough. She was stoked when I bought home a carp.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “VRFish (Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak-Body)”