First time chasing kings at the RIP

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
matt1991

First time chasing kings at the RIP

Post by matt1991 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is having a smashing summer of fishing so far!

I am looking at heading to the RIP/HEADS this Sunday if the weather holds out and this will be my first time heading out that way and also targeting Kingfish.

Just wondering what type of gear i should be prepared to bring. At moment i was thinking my Penn 7000 series which is currently spooled with 20lb mono which i am thinking to change to either 30 or 40lb. The rod situation i should have sorted as i have plenty of game rods from when my old man use to hit up the kingies and tuna in bermi.

What size leader would be best and any jigs in particular to look out for at the store when i go this weekend?

Also any hints and tips on how to target/find the kingies would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping the amount of advise i have past on to many members now returns the favour.

Cheers in advance.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: First time chasing kings at the RIP

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Your 20lb should be fine. I got 20lb braid on my rod. Some say it's not enough.. I think it is. Leader beef it up a bit to 60 lb or even 40.. If your heading out to the rip for your first time I hope your going out with someone who has before as it can be a washing machine sometimes
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:16 pm

I would use 60 to 80 lb leader 30 to 50 lb braid if you are going to jig find the fish on your sounder first, I would catch some live bait as well I have several gps marks that are very well known and are a good place to look 38.17.586 144.39.055 called the elbow 38.17.771 144.38.166 called the wall and 38.16.672 144.38.428 called bluestones. Don't forget they expanded the zone where you have to wear your life jacket no matter the size of your boat bowl posted a map.jig size depends on the day and current when they are on they will slam jigs up to 400g. A technique we use with live bait ia attach a sinker to your line with a rubber band which will hold to get the livebait down and will snap off when you get a hit just take plenty of sinkers,

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:26 pm

As for rods I use a daiwa monster mesh 6ft jig with a 6500h saltist and a have an okuma salina jig with a saragossa 10000, I also use these rods for catching livebait when they are down deep.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Personally I've been using 2 jigging outfits. I keep them both rigged with a jig as the depth can change very fast while drifting.

When shallow. Eg less than 25m A gomoku pe2-4 with a Stradic 4000. 25lb braid and 40lb leader jigging 100-150gram slow fall and knife jigs.

When between 25-80m have been using a tcurve deep jig 200 with 50lb braid and 50lb leader (to bust at the terminal end not the fg when snagged) and using jigs between 180-250 grams.

I couldn't tell you what works when it comes to jigs. But I can tell you to stock up because they get lost easily. The rip is a hellish place for jigs.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:04 pm

ducky wrote: I couldn't tell you what works when it comes to jigs. But I can tell you to stock up because they get lost easily. The rip is a hellish place for jigs.
Sitting pretty in 26m... The next second in 80m. Blink again and you've found 34m. Rinse and repeat constantly.

Guys I know who fish it regularly run nothing less than 30lb main/50lb leaders. Most run 50/80-120 combo on heavier outfits.

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:35 pm

cobby wrote:
ducky wrote: I couldn't tell you what works when it comes to jigs. But I can tell you to stock up because they get lost easily. The rip is a hellish place for jigs.
Sitting pretty in 26m... The next second in 80m. Blink again and you've found 34m. Rinse and repeat constantly.

Guys I know who fish it regularly run nothing less than 30lb main/50lb leaders. Most run 50/80-120 combo on heavier outfits.
Haha. A couple of weeks back I found a 40 odd metre cliff face on the retrieve as a boat was coming past having a gander. About 15 pumps up my rod doubled over and stayed that way for another 15 pumps until I freed myself from the edge. You've never seen a boat load of blokes drop jigs faster haha. They thought I was on. God damned reef.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:49 pm

ducky wrote:
cobby wrote:

Haha. A couple of weeks back I found a 40 odd metre cliff face on the retrieve as a boat was coming past having a gander. About 15 pumps up my rod doubled over and stayed that way for another 15 pumps until I freed myself from the edge. You've never seen a boat load of blokes drop jigs faster haha. They thought I was on. God damned reef.
Lol...that made me smile Duckman....would have been hysterical..

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:17 pm

That wouldn't have been a Saturday morning in an old Cruise Craft 570 Explorer would it? Trolled past a bloke who snagged up as a boat came to a screeching halt next to him and dropped jigs... At the time the sounder read 96m, then vertical cliff face to 35m and bounced around that for another 10 or so metres before diving back to 60m down. Would've been similar under his boat.

At least there were fish on the sounder right on top of the ledge, not that they fired up for anything that day

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 pm

Nah this was a couple of weeks back on a Friday. Barcrusher 560c.

Here's some soundings from monday. Found the bait. Found some fish. Didn't find any takers. Couldn't find them deep though.

Despite the fact we literally know bugger all about it if you follow the sounder not the crowds soon the crowds start following you. Especially when the charter operators leave.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”