First time chasing kings at the RIP

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: First time chasing kings at the RIP

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Here's another one from a couple of weeks back. This was in about 20m of drifting haha. It's a crazy place.
Attachments
image.jpg

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:10 am

Hey fellas,

Thanks a heap for the info and the markers! It is very much appreciated! I will be sure to report how we go if we end up going.
Depending on Melbourne's weather who knows what it will turn out to be come Sunday.

I will be going with my cousin who has about a 22 to 24ft boat and is fairly experienced on the water, so hopefully should be ok. At this stage it doesn't look like there will be much wind Sunday so hopefully we head out.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:57 am

ducky wrote:Here's another one from a couple of weeks back. This was in about 20m of drifting haha. It's a crazy place.
Basically an under water cliff / mountain face. Do you count the rate of drop in the water to stop the snagging of jigs? Or is it just russian roulette?

Guess you can understand when they widened the PPB mouth opening they had to blow up the side of the mountain.....

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Bit of both poodoo. The fish are generally in that 20-40m depth on Duckys last pic. It's ok when you're drifting down the drop, just count the colour change (with multi coloured braids). But it can very quickly come back up, or you're drifting up the drop and catch you off guard and it's possibly bye bye jig

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Here's a navionics snapshot of the nepean side of the rip. Closer the lines are together, sharper the drop.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Interesting! Little wonder the rip is a hotspot.

Fishing the rip can be a dangerous place, and not for the inexperienced. I know of a few boats that capsized last summer...

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:05 pm

It's basically a submerged gorge from when the sea levels were lower and the Yarra flowed all the way into what is now Bass Strait.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:56 pm

ducky wrote:Here's another one from a couple of weeks back. This was in about 20m of drifting haha. It's a crazy place.
I'm pretty sure they call this place the 'Lonsdale wall'. I've dived here a couple of times. The first time I dived here, I was casually swimming along the kelp beds at ~20m but then I came to the edge of the cliff - WOW! I remember just lying on the edge of a vertical cliff looking down into a blue/black abyss. Truly amazing.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 am

Didn't end up heading out on Sunday...the lighting and weather conditions late Saturday night where not convincing.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:14 pm

matt1991 wrote:Didn't end up heading out on Sunday...the lighting and weather conditions late Saturday night where not convincing.
Always best to play it safe, especially when you're talking about going to the rip. There is always another weekend to go fishing.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”