Kingfish Search 2017

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Kingfish Search 2017

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:57 pm

yepi'mon wrote:We are only just really getting into fishing... done the snapper fishing but now thinking to try for some Kings in the Rip when they are about. Never been that south in the bay yet but a lot of people have said the heads are quite dangerous. Is this just as true for the RIP area?

On another note, I know Matt Cini and his charters start the kingfish runs on the 7th in the bay... so you would have to think they are around!
The one trip I did in the rip last year, a wall of white water across the entrance from end to end.... Swell was only 2m with 12 seconds between and 10 knot southerly incoming tide. It's not a place for the inexperienced at all

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:11 am

Was going to start looking yesterday but things didn't go to plan. Hopefully start looking this arvo.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 am

yepi'mon wrote: Never been that south in the bay yet but a lot of people have said the heads are quite dangerous. Is this just as true for the RIP area?

On another note, I know Matt Cini and his charters start the kingfish runs on the 7th in the bay... so you would have to think they are around!
There a regulations in force that you must were a life jacket when you are in the rip, there is a notice of the area that this covers.

I am no expert, but yes the heads, rip can be extremely dangerous, there are a large number of ships that have run aground in this area.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 am

Offshore from Ocean Grove / Barwon Heads anglers encountered Kingfish gathering around schools of Australian Salmon erupting on the surface in a feeding frenzy. After spotting schools of Salmon feeding on the surface, casting 7inch soft plastics rigged on a 3/4oz jig head worked a treat with Kingfish to 68cm boated by anglers. Daniel Baden and Trellys Tackleworld Geelong Chris Pitman were using the tactics mentioned above and was successful in boating kingfish to 68cm. Daniel & Chris noted that not all schools of Salmon held kingfish but when the water was calm the Kingfish were easy to spot.

http://www.raylongtackle.com.au/rlt_rep_Latest.asp

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:36 pm

A Shoal of newly arrived kingfish along Portland’s north shore.. I read this in a Geoff Wilson Jan 3rd fishing report..

http://www.fishingknotsandrigs.com/

Dougie are you and carl going back this year for more kingie action ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Down off Conran today had hundreds of Metre plus kingfish cruising around on the surface, happy to ignore everything that was thrown at them all day. Lots of follows but only managed to get a few smaller fish 80cm or so to bite. Frustrating day but awesome as well.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Had a try today trolling live baits for no success. Went offshore solo in great conditions unfortunately couldn't raise a king would have been handy having a decky but couldn't get anyone at short notice. It's a learning curve for me but unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in my sounder especially when I see the images others get on their screens.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:08 pm

rb85 wrote:Had a try today trolling live baits for no success. Went offshore solo in great conditions unfortunately couldn't raise a king would have been handy having a decky but couldn't get anyone at short notice. It's a learning curve for me but unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in my sounder especially when I see the images others get on their screens.
Could have called me

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Lots of babies outside today.... Always just under legal

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
rb85 wrote:Had a try today trolling live baits for no success. Went offshore solo in great conditions unfortunately couldn't raise a king would have been handy having a decky but couldn't get anyone at short notice. It's a learning curve for me but unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in my sounder especially when I see the images others get on their screens.
Could have called me
Would have been more than welcome, I wasn't game to drive too close to the headlands whilst watching the rod.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”