A day in The Rip.

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: A day in The Rip.

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 am

Sounds like a cracking day in the rip!

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 am

yepi'mon wrote:I have a Penn Spinfisher SSV 6500 spooled with 50lb braid on a 8-15kg Shimano Triton. Reckon this setup would do the trick?

I've also got two Shimano Baitrunner 8000 Oc's on 6-8kg rods that I was thinking might work.

I've done the snapper this year (first time), considering having a go at the RIP :water:
The penn/triton sounds like it's in the right ballpark.

The baitrunners might not put enough drag on to slow up a kingy I reckon, maybe if you upgrade the drag to carbon fibre but we had the Saragossa wound right up tight and they can put on 10-12kg and they still stripped plenty of line; the baitrunners are 9kg appparantly but I have a couple also and I have my doubts, even with upgraded drag.

I'm not familiar with your exact snapper rods but if they are anything like my WP snapper rods then they would be way under gunned.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 am

skronkman wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:I have a Penn Spinfisher SSV 6500 spooled with 50lb braid on a 8-15kg Shimano Triton. Reckon this setup would do the trick?

I've also got two Shimano Baitrunner 8000 Oc's on 6-8kg rods that I was thinking might work.

I've done the snapper this year (first time), considering having a go at the RIP :water:
The penn/triton sounds like it's in the right ballpark.

The baitrunners might not put enough drag on to slow up a kingy I reckon, maybe if you upgrade the drag to carbon fibre but we had the Saragossa wound right up tight and they can put on 10-12kg and they still stripped plenty of line; the baitrunners are 9kg appparantly but I have a couple also and I have my doubts, even with upgraded drag.

I'm not familiar with your exact snapper rods but if they are anything like my WP snapper rods then they would be way under gunned.
These were my thoughts as well. The rods are just cheap Shimano Eclipse roads that came in a deal with the bait runners when I purchased them so I am sure they would struggle.

Only one way to find out right?

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 am

Nice fish mate, well done!

snorkly

Post by snorkly » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 am

Well done mate, cracking trip, great report and awesome fish. :a_goodjob:

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”