A day in The Rip.

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

A day in The Rip.

Post by skronkman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:26 am

Had a crack on the kings on Monday. Bait collecting first thing then out into the hustle and bustle of the rip around the slack tide. First drop and the deckie was on, gaffed him and we had a 70cm onboard. Then it was my turn. Bait Got smashed within about 5 mins and I was on and landed another about the same size as the first. By now all the other boats were chasing us around including a charter boat full of punters so it was tight quarters and made fishing difficult with only 2 of us on the boat. Third fish was a steam train and I've got a nice bruise on my thigh from the rod butt, got him boatside and he was the biggest one at around estimated 85cm but before we got him in the net he was destroyed by a seal. It was a good show watching sammy slap it about on the surface but I just wanted to cry! Gutted. A few more drifts and we boated another 3 around the 70-75cm mark before the drift picked up and we ran out of bait. Realised at the end I had lost the center out of my rod tip (fighting the seal) and probably destroyed the last 40 meters of brand new J Braid. Oh well. On the way home I accidentally left a rod in the rocket launcher (got all the others out but missed one) and snapped it into 3 bits on a tree when backing down the drive. Expensive day but a good excuse to buy more fishing gear I suppose. Good fun day and the fresh kings made fantastic sashimi for dinner and enough left over to eat kingy for the rest of the week. I'll post a pic from my phone.
Last edited by skronkman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

skronkman

Re: A day in The Rip.

Post by skronkman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 am

I should learn to smile for the camera.
Attachments
IMG_20170116_144019588.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 am

Great report mate. Awesome catch. Well done :thumbsup:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 am

Awesome mate! Need a deckhand? Haha

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Well done! What sort of rod/reel were you using?

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm

We ran 3 setups. A tld25 on a no name roller tip boat rod rated about 25kg. This was overkill but they still put a bend in it. A saragosa 6000 on a terez 15-30lb, this was good but prolly wanted to up the rod one notch as we didn't have much control over them once the really took off but the reel was ideal. A saragosa 8000 on a 6'9" penn 6-10kg full glass rod. The reel is much the same as the 6000 and fine and I think this rod went the best for control and pulling power, it had more backbone than the terez. Until I blew the eye out of the tip of course. I like glass rods for the boat, cheap and tough.

Line was 50lb braid on the Saragossas and some heavy mono on the tld, leader was 80lb mono and trace was 60lb mono to 2 snelled 7/0 black magic suicides. Just a running sinker on an ezyrig to get the baits down. Used the lightest sinkers we could but they got pretty decent sized when the tide started to rip.

I meant to get out there again today but went a little to large last night so just went out to collect bait again today, ready for another shot at them at the next opportunity.

Edited to correct my wildly inaccurate details of the penn rod! Correct now.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 pm

I have a Penn Spinfisher SSV 6500 spooled with 50lb braid on a 8-15kg Shimano Triton. Reckon this setup would do the trick?

I've also got two Shimano Baitrunner 8000 Oc's on 6-8kg rods that I was thinking might work.

I've done the snapper this year (first time), considering having a go at the RIP :water:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Great report well done.

Johand

Post by Johand » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Well done Thanks for all the info on tackle used

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times