Deck hand tomorrow(friday)

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Deck hand tomorrow(friday)

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 am

MsShimano wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't get a deckie and I launched anyway, got as far as the fair way bouy, it was a little sloppy and I could see birds working further out, but it needed someone to control the boat whilst the other landed the fish.

Ended up going over to Flinders and sounded some nice arches. Towed a few lures around plus a dead bait. but no takers.

Ended up heading back and the western entrance lived up to it's name it was a little sloppy wind against tide. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't have eyes in the back of my head.
Should of tried trolling a few livies! seemed to work last time.. they were coming up to smack the slimey as I was reeling in. Got 3 in 15 mins.. all 80cm plus.
For some strange reason, women seem to almost always out fish men. :notworthy: :water:
Lol I can always come out and be your deckie to show you how it's done :super:
You got yourself a deal

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't get a deckie and I launched anyway, got as far as the fair way bouy, it was a little sloppy and I could see birds working further out, but it needed someone to control the boat whilst the other landed the fish.

Ended up going over to Flinders and sounded some nice arches. Towed a few lures around plus a dead bait. but no takers.

Ended up heading back and the western entrance lived up to it's name it was a little sloppy wind against tide. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't have eyes in the back of my head.
Should of tried trolling a few livies! seemed to work last time.. they were coming up to smack the slimey as I was reeling in. Got 3 in 15 mins.. all 80cm plus.
For some strange reason, women seem to almost always out fish men. :notworthy: :water:
Lol I can always come out and be your deckie to show you how it's done :super:
You got yourself a deal
Deal. No excuses now ;-)
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 am

MsShimano wrote:

Did you go Solo or with a charter?

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 am

rb85 wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

I went with a friend.
Just the 2 of us.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:00 am

MsShimano wrote:
rb85 wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

I went with a friend.
Just the 2 of us.
It's a lot easier managing rods trolling with a Deckie especially fishing in treacherous waters, near headlands or other boats. If it's open water then thats a different story.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:58 am

Hydraulic or non feedback steering, little bit of throttle and being mindful which way the boats pointing. Doable quite easily, although difficult

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 am

MsShimano wrote:

Not wanting to start a shitfight but dont forget the fact that its a lot easier finding kingfish in sydney than in melbourne. I wish we had a similar king fish fishery. Hopefully the ban on netting will see it improve.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 pm

cobby wrote:Hydraulic or non feedback steering, little bit of throttle and being mindful which way the boats pointing. Doable quite easily, although difficult
That's what I do with engine tilt neutral still easier having two people to fish properly I feel.

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:38 pm

purple5ive wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

Not wanting to start a shitfight but dont forget the fact that its a lot easier finding kingfish in sydney than in melbourne. I wish we had a similar king fish fishery. Hopefully the ban on netting will see it improve.
I agree. Kingies in Vic are hard going. Just like a big snapper here is a common occurance in SA / WA etc.

Kingfish will improve tremendously as bait populations improve in the bay. Soon you will be able to land based kingies from St Kilda! :)
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Yep exactly Victoria's a different game. There's many techniques for lots of different species some will work one day and not the next.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”