Jervis Bay Assistance Required

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
azkay

Jervis Bay Assistance Required

Post by azkay » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 am

Taking a boat up to Jervis Bay in early February for a few days. Boat is quite capable, targeting Kingies.. The 'research' has begun, punching through as many articles i can find through the search function and through Google. Thought i'd also ask the members if they have any personal experience there? Not after any secrets, but i find any information can come in handy..
The type of info i've been researching is;
- Bait Collection?
- Kingy Grounds - General Area?
- General Depth to Target?
- Rigging up/Techniques (livies, jigs, lures, etc)?

Should mention that i have targeted them before, more locally.. Gear should suffice, i've found in the past nothing beats local knowledge or fist hand info on an area so any help would be appreciated..

So far plan is,
Early Start, Bait Collection (Squid), Head infront of Point Perpindicular to approx 40-50m, Burley Trail (Catch any other Bait that may hand around), Put some baits out to various depths(Balloon 4-5m), light weighted 15-20m. Got some jigs and lures to troll and throw around aswell if struggling. Obviously keep an eye out for any activity, bait balls, etc.. - Thats pretty much all i got at the moment..
Az.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Jervis Bay Assistance Required

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Just park directly in front of whoever is fishing on the rocks after driving over their balloons. Take a helmet.

But no seriously I have no idea about boat based, if you want to try LBG stuff shoot me a PM.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 pm

If you Google "The Banks Kingfish Jervis Bay" you will find plenty of info fishing the banks area. It is not too far North of Jervis Bay Heads.

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi, I was up there this month from the 9th to 13th. Only had one day fishing. Launched at murrays beach boat ramp, about 15kms from Vincentia. Good ramp, fine on
low tide, just don't leave any valuables in the car as it's a well known spot for theft.
There are squid to the left of ramp. Weren't plentiful, picked up 3 in 40 mins then discovered a large buoy in 13-16m of water size of 2 44 gallon drums, yellow. Between the boat ramp and hyams beach. Got an easy 10 yakkas and slimies in 20mins.
Study a marine park map as it's very protected throughout the bay and ocean.
Kings off Pt perpendicular and the tubes in 20-40m . Getting fish from 60-80cm, they can show up inside the bay and through the entrance. Some bonito around, but water is still pretty cold for this time of year. Dollies hadn't shown up back then, the fad is only 14k offshore so not too far.
Good luck,

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 am

DougieK wrote:Just park directly in front of whoever is fishing on the rocks after driving over their balloons. Take a helmet.

But no seriously I have no idea about boat based, if you want to try LBG stuff shoot me a PM.
Hehe, have done some LBG stuff recently, definately won't be going close to those guys, i know how hard it is to finally get some baits out to have it ruined by some bloke cruising by..

Thanks, i'll check the weather to see if we'll end up landbased and send a PM..
Az.

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 am

Paulanderson wrote:If you Google "The Banks Kingfish Jervis Bay" you will find plenty of info fishing the banks area. It is not too far North of Jervis Bay Heads.
Thanks, just watched a couple of videos on the area, looks like more rat kingies in the tubes and the better size kingies are at the banks, got the marks :)
Az.

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am

Feathor wrote:Hi, I was up there this month from the 9th to 13th. Only had one day fishing. Launched at murrays beach boat ramp, about 15kms from Vincentia. Good ramp, fine on
low tide, just don't leave any valuables in the car as it's a well known spot for theft.
There are squid to the left of ramp. Weren't plentiful, picked up 3 in 40 mins then discovered a large buoy in 13-16m of water size of 2 44 gallon drums, yellow. Between the boat ramp and hyams beach. Got an easy 10 yakkas and slimies in 20mins.
Study a marine park map as it's very protected throughout the bay and ocean.
Kings off Pt perpendicular and the tubes in 20-40m . Getting fish from 60-80cm, they can show up inside the bay and through the entrance. Some bonito around, but water is still pretty cold for this time of year. Dollies hadn't shown up back then, the fad is only 14k offshore so not too far.
Good luck,
That's perfect Feather, ideally don't want to miss good fishing times like sunrise so might have a quick cruise around for bait then head straight to the tubes, start there. Weather permitting, might head to the banks and cruise around outside looking for some activity as well..
Az.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”