Jervis Bay Kingfish

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
azkay

Jervis Bay Kingfish

Post by azkay » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:03 am

As mentioned in my previous request for help, headed out to Jervis Bay in search of Kingies. Thanks to all the guys for the help offered.. First trip out there, all in all it was an epic trip. Much more difficult then I thought it may be, was on the water for 3 days, weather didn't play ball for most of the trip. we'd go out in glassed out conditions and within minutes we were battling strong winds and crippling swell..

Was fortunate enough to hook onto and boat a few fish, nowhere near as many as we would have liked and no brutes but just happy to see the target species..

Plenty of by-catch while chasing baits too, pinkies and a whole heap of colourful fish :/ (that's my best id)..

Bait: Outside Plantation Point Marine Sanctuary, tucked in close was squid (3-5m), just outside (10-12m) and burley brought mackerel in..
All Live Bait!

Gear: First time out there so i don't know if we were undergunned or overkill, but it did the job so cant complain;
We pretty much used 6'- 7' - Medium/Heavy Ugly Sticks and Saltist Rods
Ranging from 5500 - 10000 BG's - Saltist's
Most Running 60 - 80lb Braid --- 80 - 120lb Leader --- 8-9/0 Owner and Gama Circles --- 120kg+ Swivels

Kingfish: Drifting Between Point Perpendicular and the Middle Grounds, fish were holding between 10m - 20m..

Nearly all the boats running Marlin Drifts towards the shelf had the same call on the radio's when they were done; "Marine Rescue Jervis Bay, Marine Rescue Jervis Bay, this is _____, i am _____, require assistance getting back in to JB".. Fair to say we decided 'No Thanks!'

I do alot of fishing of my boat in the bay but hats off to all the guys who do offshore on a regular basis, bl#$dy hell it was hard work..

I believe Feb - Mar - Apr is the best time for it.. Anyone thinking of heading up, just pm if you need any more details..
Attachments
KF 1.jpg
KF 2.jpg
KF 3.jpg
Red 1.jpg
Fish Finder 1.jpg
Last edited by azkay on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Az.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Jervis Bay Kingfish

Post by Lightningx » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 am

Great report and pics mate.
Glad you got your target species!
Cheers :thumbsup:

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 am

Nicely done, kingies always provide some good fun no matter the size.

One suggestion. Turn off the fish identifier on your sounder. It’s essentially useless and you’ll have a much easier time identifying kings if you get used to seeing and reading the full sounder picture.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:50 am

Nice report azkay I have never fished Jervis bay but read many reports. Did you drive up and hire a boat I can see the boat hire stickers. It’s a long way from Vic towing a boat.
I will be in bermi early March for my annual trip it’s around 1500 k round trip for me jervis bay an extra 500 making it 2000 k round trip. That’s a lot of diesel in the land cruiser around 380 lt.
At least you got onto a few fish
Last edited by Nude up on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am

Awesome stuff! Might even take you up on that offer of the PM. Wouldn't mind taking a few days off and heading that way myself!
scott__henning wrote:Nicely done, kingies always provide some good fun no matter the size.

One suggestion. Turn off the fish identifier on your sounder. It’s essentially useless and you’ll have a much easier time identifying kings if you get used to seeing and reading the full sounder picture.
This. Lol fish identifier is good for keeping children entertained and that's about it.

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 am

Nude up wrote:Nice report azkay I have never fished Jervis bay but read many reports. Did you drive up and hire a boat I can see the boat hire stickers. It’s a long way from Vic towing a boat.
I will be in bermi early March for my annual trip it’s around 1500 k round trip for me jervis bay an extra 500 making it 2000 k round trip. That’s a lot of diesel in the land cruiser around 380 lt.
At least you got onto a few fish
Thanks nude up,

My boat isin't capable so it was an easy choice for me, I hired one up there, I think it was about 6m'ish with a 150 Honda on the back, worked out to be reasonably priced too between a few people.. I can pm the details if anyone needs.. (straight up the Hume upto Goulburn is all good, the last 2-300kms id imagine would be horrible to tow)..

There was no Marlin caught when i was there, some of the bigger boats did see a couple though, apparently weather temp has been great up that way recently..
Last edited by azkay on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Az.

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 am

Kimtown wrote:Awesome stuff! Might even take you up on that offer of the PM. Wouldn't mind taking a few days off and heading that way myself!
scott__henning wrote:Nicely done, kingies always provide some good fun no matter the size.

This. Lol fish identifier is good for keeping children entertained and that's about it.
Agree 100%, initially didnt want to play with the settings because it wasn't my boat, that only lasted a few hours :/
Az.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 am

WOW azkay, what a great trip. I am jealous as.

It does show the brilliance of this forum. Fishos willing to help out other Fishos with info and look at the results. And with you putting it out there to help anyone heading there too. Well done. Next time I think that advice should be "take Bugatti with you" :-D

Great to see you guys had a ball and got some nice hoodlums to boot.

Jervis Bay Kingies Fish Finder.PNG
scott__henning wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 am
Nicely done, kingies always provide some good fun no matter the size.

I'm not sure Scott, that the fish identifier is useless, They got one.

Jervis Bay Kingies.PNG
Well done to all concerned, this is one of the good stories of it all coming together well.

Cheers, Bugatti

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:15 am

Well done guys
Great effort

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:17 am

Bugatti wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 am
WOW azkay, what a great trip. I am jealous as.

I'm not sure Scott, that the fish identifier is useless, They got one.

Jervis Bay Kingies.PNG

Well done to all concerned, this is one of the good stories of it all coming together well.

Cheers, Bugatti
:rofl:

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”