Crab live bait in ppb

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
fitzy90

Re: Crab live bait in ppb

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:24 pm

I just use a simple small running sinker rig with a light leader if im casting out or being lazy, or if there is a bit of flow in the river ill just use an un weighted bait and let it run in the current. i've never fished the docklands for bream but you could just use an un weighted bait and let it sink down the pylons similar to using blades.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Crab live bait in ppb

Post by sloth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:00 am

eddyt wrote:why not bread?

Also I'm gonna head down for a fish after work tomorrow.
Bread works for sure but I've found it gets a lot of smaller fish too. I'm intending to fish mussel in the shell and crab/yabbie of decent size to hopefully selectively target the bigger units .... Well that's the idea anyways :)

I'm also interested to see if bait gets a better hit rate. My kids get bored with lures pretty quick if there isn't much action - so want to see if I can spice things up - bread could be a good option for them (was actually thinking of taking then mullet hunting with bread)

I'm working from home Friday else I'd have stuck my head down at the docks to say hello :(

sloth

Post by sloth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:04 am

fitzy90 wrote:I just use a simple small running sinker rig with a light leader if im casting out or being lazy, or if there is a bit of flow in the river ill just use an un weighted bait and let it run in the current. i've never fished the docklands for bream but you could just use an un weighted bait and let it sink down the pylons similar to using blades.
Ahh cool .... I take it you just cut a section and then thread it on the hook ? I'm actually thinking it might be worth trying on a light jighead.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:57 pm

sloth wrote:Ok ... So I've never bait fished before but considering giving it a go for a bit of a change from flicking lures around. I'm still targeting bream so I'm thinking I'd like to try mussels and crabs. Specifically live crabs..... Problem is I've just been reading the intertidal zone restrictions and if I understand them correctly it's prohibited to collect crabs in the intertidal zone. So where do people get live crabs from? Do bait shops stock them?
Maybe try a Cranka crab?

You're correct about the intertidal zone restrictions. Here's a tip. North of the Westgate is classified as inland waters. No intertidal zones there!

sloth

Post by sloth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Aha. Had no idea on that demarcation point for being inland. Well that simplifies things. You're a legend :)

I fish cranka crabs already and have had a fair bit of success on them - just want to try bait to see what I'm missing .... Or not missing :)

I'll definitely throw the livies where I chuck the crankas - want to see if there's much difference in quantity or quality. Obviously hard to run a strict controlled comparison but Ive seen the big units be lure shy ..... So want to see the difference with the real McCoy. Thanks for the info on the intertidal classifications.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Saw a big school of mullet today if you're after them. Looks like they're everywhere.
Also 1 bream today, taken on a blade off the bottom. Not quite as big as yours but still decent, around 28cm to the tip.

sloth

Post by sloth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:22 am

eddyt wrote:Saw a big school of mullet today if you're after them. Looks like they're everywhere.
Also 1 bream today, taken on a blade off the bottom. Not quite as big as yours but still decent, around 28cm to the tip.
Cheers mate - reckon I'll take the kids fishing for the mighty mullet. Loaf of bread and we should be set :)

Good work on the bream. 28 is still decent for the docks - glad those little pickers seem to have disappeared and the better fish are firing up - seemed to have had lockjaw the last month.

Lately I've not had much luck off the bottom. All my recent ones have come from under pontoons on lures dropping vertically past them. I've tried slow rolling a grub along the edge of the pontoon - got a couple of bumps but no hookups. Frustrating fish :)

addicted2plastics
Location: traveling Australia flicking plastics everywhere I've always dreamt...

Post by addicted2plastics » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 am

A couple mates recon you'll get them from a good woman from down the pub!!
MY HEARTS NOT TICKIN IF I'M NOT FLICKIN!! A2P

Return to “Bait”